Viewing 8 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Tell a friend.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Doesn’t confuse me. He disliked K. Didn’t like the way he was being used. Went to mini. Coach got fired and figured. Why not. I’m familiar with utah, it’s a fresh start. And they need a point guard playmaker. I’m happy to have him back.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

If he commits to playing tough defense, he will be on the court and I will welcome him with open arms. 

LetItRide
        Ute Fan
        @letitride

Lots of Ducks highlights!!!! Love that. Didn’t he also have a solid game vs Kentucky?
        Kid is a big time gamer. All in.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Called it!

Color me stoked about this!!

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I knew someone had called it. Good call excited for his return.

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

Thanks! I’m still enamored with his potential athletically.

He’ll need great coaching and leadership to get him there. I do believe in Smith as the right man for the job!

In a bad situation he’d probably fall off the map. But in a good one he could be a star!

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Weird.  But I’ll take it!

GO UTES !!!  They are my favorite team!

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Well this has got to be a real mind f**k for the Coach K defenders.

*I have no ill will to Coach K, I liked him, thank him for his service, and wish him well. But I also feel confident that it was time to move on.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Coach K apologists just don’t understand basketball. Allen, Plummer were gone no matter what. Sure the kids left after their dads were fired. But it is what it is. He was done two years ago. Very glad he’s gone. I believe Smith will be great. Time will tell.

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I liked Larry as a person and coach. I liked that he stuck to his principles. Having said that, he did fail to make the adjustments necessary in today’s world. I’m not sure he knew how to even approach the problem. Enter Coach Smith, he seems to have the right kind of mentality to win now. He is a player’s coach that gets his teams on the same page. He also is very enthusiastic which really helps with boosters and parents. I am looking forward to seeing if this translates to wins at this level. I truly hope it does.
      Welcome back Both!

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

I’m happy he is back, but I’m neither confused nor do I understand.  Peoples individual choices are complex.  If I had to guess, I would say that it appears there was a lot he liked about Utah and obviously something he didn’t like.  The thing he disliked is either gone, or been put in perspective.  Given the circumstance, it seems likely its the latter.  

My armchair guess on K, was that he was very rigorous on the idea of the ‘team guy’, like the old Bobby Knight idea of having no name on the jersey.  There is no individual, only the team, and everyone is an interchangeable part of that machine.  That individuality is devisive and destructive because being an individual just naturally means that person stands out from and therefore divides and weakens the team.  As a result, K continually punished players that stood out, restricted their development, and thus strong willed and exciting players felt stiffled in his system.  Meanwhile steady-eddy workhorse lunchpail players, like Timmy, thrived.  And mild mannered but very talented players like Kuzma did fine, but never blossomed.  Overall, a recipe for tunrnover and mediocrity.

I hope Smith is more in line with the more modern (and I think true) model that a team is made up of individuals.  And allowing each individual to be the best they can be by leveraging their strengths.  Finally, let the game be fun. 

Just my $0.02, I’m sure many will disagree.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

^^^this^^^  My initial impression of Coach Smith is that he’s going to let these boys play.  I think having fun is high on his priority list (a 180 from the Bobby Knight’s of the world).  Intrigued to see how it works out…

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

If when I first picked up a basketball, I didn’t have fun, I would likely have put it right down again.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) This confuses me. Gach is Back.