Thoughts on the transfer portal for football?

Viewing 9 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I personally don’t like the idea a lot.  If a kid isn’t getting the playing time he wants or a coach gets after him – he just leaves.  That’s not a good life lesson IMO.  There is something to be said for sticking in there.  However, I understand that there are times when it just isn’t a good fit for a kid.

On the other side, I think Utah will benefit more from it than it will hurt them.  We will likely get some kids who were frustrated at bigger name schools.

Johnny80
      Ute Fan
      @johnny80

Look at the times we live in. Kids now are used to instant gratification. Post it, like it, share it, repeat.  Hard work, grit, determination, and follow through are fading away. If you can’t imidetly benefit from whatever you are doing why do it? This will be the new norm in college football.  The trend has been getting stronger in college basketball and will most likely spill over to all college athletics…… except the Red Rocks…. those ladies are tough as nails mentally and physically.  

Not a fan of the situation but I understand that I need to accept it if I want to continue to follow college sports. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Mehh, it’s college. If coaches can change schools, regular students can transfer, so should student athletes. If kids realize a situation isn’t what they were sold on than they should have the option to transfer schools.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

So it’s ok for coaches to do it when they see a better opportunity and situation but the player can’t? It’s especially egregious when a coach sells a player and player’s family on a bill of goods about “commitment” and “dedication” and then bolts.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I don’t mind it. If a kid isn’t a grad transfer he usually has to sit out a year. If they had dedicated 3 years and want their last year to play then I understand. I actually think it helps us more than hurts us.

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

I don’t mind it at all. They’ll still have to work hard at the next school if they want to play. I like the freedom it provides if coaches leave or situations change from what they committed to out of high school. All in or in the way.

4 3

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

If a football player is so much of a pussy that he wants to leave the program when a coach rides him then we don’t want him anyway.

Anfernee
        Ute Fan
        @anfernee

Isn’t each situation different? We never even get the full story anyway. Cameron Rising, Manny Bowen etc seem like understandable circumstances.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I don’t like it. The transfer portal opens the door for a program to be absolutely decimated if a large number of players decide to leave all at once. Imagine having half or more of your roster leave because the coach that recruited them gets fired or takes a different job. It won’t happen very often, but when it does happen the long-term effects will be reminiscent of SMU after they got the death penalty.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

The transfer portal is good for every non blue blood program with a good coach and solid reputation. Utah is in position to greatly benefit from it. 

Bama used to be able to hoard top recruits and gain an advantage by not having to compete against them. Now those players can go elsewhere easier to prove themselves. 

If we establish our program as a great second chance program we will bring these guys in to our benefit

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Ok, let’s do a thought experiment: Imagine your current job. They can fire you for any reason (or no reason) at any time. They can take away the boss who hired you – who I’m assuming you like at least a bit, or you wouldn’t have taken the job – and replace him with a total asshole who you hate working for. They can take your responsibilities, give them to a co-worker, and make your new job cleaning the toilets.

But here’s the rub: You’re not allowed to quit. You’re stuck in this job for the next 4 years.

Sound fair? Of course not. But that’s college sports without transfers. Being able to transfer is a good thing.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Not quite accurate. Before the transfer portal, athletes could transfer if they wanted to, but there were potential penalties which deterred transfers. The current school/coach could block transfers to certain schools which meant the athlete would be ineligible to receive aid the following year if they transferred to a blocked school. The schools that were typically blocked were rivals, scheduled opponents, and any school the coach felt might have tampered with that athlete. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Ok, let’s add that to the thought experiment. You can quit, but you can’t go work for any of your competitors (though selling nails at Lowe’s remains an option). The company you’re leaving takes back a bunch of pay when you quit. Oh, and you can’t get paid for the first year you work at your new job.

Sound any better?

No it doesn’t. And my point remains.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

I get your point, but it still isn’t apples to apples.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on the transfer portal for football?