Thoughts or explanations for Special Teams

Viewing 5 reply threads

LetItRide
      Ute Fan
      @letitride

I realize it was dummied down yesterday ……and the least sexy discussion  

but wanted your thoughts on the punting and FG kicking? Yesterday and beyond. 

Starters or not? We have had riches for years, but seems like things are not as rosy past couple seasons. 

Need something positive here. 

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Our field goal kicking is special. Did we go away from the rugby punt because defenses figured out you can light up the punter as soon as he’s outside of the tackle box? Or did we forget to recruit Australian punters that run a 4.5 40 yd dash?

UtahPilot47
        Ute Fan
        @utahpilot

Australian rugby punting might have been a flash in the pan.  The top high punting recruits are all traditional style.  

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

We’ve lucked out with amazing kickers. As great as our Sugar Bowl team was, lui sakoda won at least a couple games for us that year. Same can be said for games won by Matt Gay and Andy Phillips. Matt Gay would’ve won us a pac 12 championship had we got within long field goal range a few times against Washington.

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

Wasn’t there an incoming kicker that was the kicking equivalent to a 5-star recruit next year?

UtahPilot47
      Ute Fan
      @utahpilot

Southam, who transferred from BYU, was one of the top kickers (both FG and Punt) in the country coming out of high school.  He was decent at BYU as a freshman.  He is not listed as a starter at either position so I think that speaks well of who we have kicking next year. 

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

What ever happened to the kicker that Gay referred from England, if I remember correctly? I thought he was supposed to have a 60 yard leg with accuracy, no?

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Did something happen to Jason Redding? We’re fine with him…

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Nope, Redding is a lock for the job coming off a season where he was perfect.  Marsh beat out the defective Aussie last season and posted great averages.  Lets find something to worry about…

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts or explanations for Special Teams