Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Looks decent so far.

3 6

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

… better than Bentley tho .. Be really nice if Utes figured out there QB strategy.. Huntley, smith and Johnson is pretty much it over a 20 year period .. say what you want; but they continue to miss manage that position .. thought we had something with Lugwig being back .. but Utes have underperformed even when they were loaded last year

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I want to agree with you but let’s wait to see what happens with Bentely before we say he’s horrible

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

Agreed. Bentley got thrown into a game without having any practice reps, after having COVID and with an O Line that did him no favors. Granted, he made some questionable decisions and mistakes.

Let’s see how he looks after a full week of prep and with a gameplan that’s drawn up to his strengths before passing judgement.

MFury
            Ute Fan
            @mfury

…and how rising turns out before passing judgement on ludwigs an strategy.

Tednab
              Ute Fan
              @tednab

Fair enough.. it’s really hard to gauge anything this year . 2020 has knocked the earth off its axis

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

And in all fairness, Tuttle left under Troy Taylor.

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

Wrong! Bentley putting his balls on the chopping block and he’s balling!

9 1

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Good God.  A transfer who failed to win the job at the new school not once but twice goes 5 for 5 in garbage time against an average Maryland team and Utah has mismanaged the QB position again.  Let me know when he actually starts, not if the starter is injured, and actually wins s**t against a team that is worth the powder it would take to blow it to hell.   

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Part of managing the QB situation is identifying and recruiting talented QBs. The fact that Tuttle has turned out to be mediocre/bad somewhere else is just a further indictment on our coaching staffs management of the QB position. 

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

When that game is played with the benfit of hind sight and no skin in the game I guess it is easy to throw rocks.  In the moment what was going on is Utah had signed its highest rated highschool qb prospect ever who had Bama and SC on his offer sheet and the entire fan base was jizzing itself and calling for Huntley’s head with each incompletion.  

With the exception of what appeared to be a lack of QB depth the first couple of years in the PAC12, which was rapidly addressed, the overall situation has been stable if nothing else.  Overreacting based on 1 game in the screwiest season in the history of college football as it relates to the current iteration seems like a reach to me.   

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

I get the hindsight argument, but our coaches are supposed to be the experts. I don’t care about star ratings or who else is recruiting a prospect. Our coaches should be identifying and evaluating talent independent of what the recruiting services and other schools are doing. They do a good/great job with every other position on the team, but continually bungle the QB position in one way or another. 

If we could have the same type of recruitment, retention, and development of QBs that we get with every other position group, we would be a perennial top 10 team.  

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

I guess I just don’t see the bungle since Christensen left.  2016 the room was light on talent to replace Travis and they bring in the highest rated Juco QB in the country for instant impact and a skinny freshman from Florida who was the Gatorade player of the year in that state.  They lose Tuttle, within months add a 4 star who was on their board in Tuttles class who sits for a year and learns the O.  For depth or in case Rising wasn’t ready they bring in a 3 year starter in the SEC.  Injuries are out of the staffs control.  It looks like over the last 6 seasons Utah has taken a very pragmatic approach in its place in college football which is now 4* qb’s.

Retention and development don’t exist in the QB position anymore.  It is plug and play or greener pastures cause these kids will only sit for one year max.  They don’t get special teams reps, they don’t get rotated in, hard to keep engaged when you don’t play and transferring has become too easy especially when they were high on other peoples boards which is where we live now.  The days of starting a redshirt junior every two years is a thing of the past in major college football.

Tednab
            Ute Fan
            @tednab

My comment was not directed on 1 game ; it’s been a issue for a good 20 years ; yet well see .. Bentley is pretty much all we have now

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

Who is this program?  The one that feels confident trotting it’s 3rd string (aka emergency) qb onto the field to start a conference game.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Or let’s overreact to a small sample size. I like this plan better. Really helps to paty cardiologists boat payment. 

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

Those Mastercrafts don’t come cheap bro. haha

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

It’s a worthy sacrifice on my part. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Tuttle in at QB for IU