UCLA

Viewing 8 reply threads

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Just venting here for a second…

I’m a little annoyed that a garbage UCLA team is still in the running for the division title given how horrendously bad they were the first half of the season.  It’s a bad look for the conference that such a poor team is still in the mix for a division title this late in the season.

Furthermore, it adds to the dangerousness of this game.  UCLA is not a downtrodden team with nothing left to play for.  Given the comments of some of the players recently, it’s obvious they are brimming with confidence and would love nothing more than to get a win in Salt Lake City.

I know Whitt doesn’t like RUTSing, but I would love nothing more.  If the CFP is a possibility like some people think, then this needs to be a statement game.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

They are fools gold but have exceeded my expectations. If this means a few more years of Chip I am fine with it. Let him coach there forever. 

Beating Wazzu in a basketball score?Wazzu is worst than we expected. Losing that dcoordinator two years ago caught up finally with Leach. 

They then managed 17 against Zona who is just a garbage defense to. Worst tackling team I have ever seen. 

Oregon state drops 48 on them..a team that was lucky enough to score off of a garbage turnover in a game at home with Utah. 

Stanford is back to being the Stanford we are familiar with. Loads of injuries are causing this time around. 

They then get ASU after Utah dismantled them. Fortune smiles on their hopes again. 

Then beat Colorado easily which I think next to Arizona might be the worst team in the conference. 

Whatever the spread is you take the over in this game. Huntley will be close to 100%. Utah’s defense will be back to full health. 

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

This makes me feel better.  The only win of theirs that concerns me a little is ASU.  I know many are chalking up the performance to the TWAU (The Week After Utah) factor, but ASU is still a decent team – I think, anyway.  I was impressed at how well their defense held up against Utah and I attribute their woeful offensive performance to our elite defense.  

…but given how easily UCLA handled them, was, a little concerning.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

fUCLA is poo poo. Maybe not SO poo poo. But they poo poo for sure. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

ASU has good a good RB, average receiver’s, and a talented, but young and inexperienced QB. Their O line is horrible though and with a bad O line, your offense will suffer. I don’t really think they are very good on offense because of that. Of course playing Utah’s D makes them look worse, but all you have to do is dial up some pressure in the pass and hope to limit Eno and they won’t score. Don’t read too much into that win.

3 1

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Bruins went 0-3 out of conference, getting beat around by Cincy and San Diego State, and buried by Oklahoma.   Not great results, but much stronger opponents than what Utah faced.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The game to worry about is Arizona because Utah has demonstrated they can play down to their competitors on the road. Scalley and Ludwig have been able to easily adjust though and dial the team back in.

I don’t think we will see multiple position groups failing like the USC game until we play an opponent with far better talent. 
      Which Utah is about even with Oregon imo. So potentially in the postseason. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I feel you, UteFanatic.

I have to remind myself that in years past we had to rely on our defense to save the day.  We had to hope that the 14 points our offense was going to score would be enough to hold up.  Not only is this the best defense UCLA has faced, but we have an excellent offense to throw at them as well.  Good luck with that, Bruins.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

My concern for the next three games is that Utah is the last shot those teams have at making some noise this year. For some, it is their de facto bowl game. I believe Utah will win all the remaining regular season games, but teams are dangerous when they have nothing to lose and put all their emphasis on winning a single game to make a splash.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Yep.  That’s when Utah suffers the most season-ending injuries:  vs. teams with nothing to lose.

(ex.:  BYU, New Mexico, Wyoming)

Utebeam
        Ute Fan
        @utebeam

fUCLA might be dangerous but if Utah comes out and punches them in the mouth a couple of times they will lose their ferocisty fairly quickly. Our backups will be in by mid third quarter. Damn, I’m starting to sound like all the fans of teams I hate…..

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Note that Tennessee is still in the running for the SEC East. Teams improve over the season, doesn’t mean they are good, just that they are improved.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

TDS has improved. I didn’t expect them to be at this win total. Sitake shouldn’t even be questioned for getting an extension. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

If they offer him one, I hope he turns it down and goes to a better program.

Texasute
      Ute Fan
      @texasute

My concern is that historically Utah’s defense seems to have more trouble with a scrambling QB. The next two games will be a test. Nothing that can’t be overcome. Just concerning.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Against this defense you have to throw the ball to win. Utah has too much speed and intelligence in the front seven to allow a QB to run all over. ASU with Daniels didn’t even want to chance it in fear of getting him broken. 

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

They did a good job with Daniel’s, just need to use the same scheme. Keep them in the pocket and force them to throw.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

The fact they are still in the running is a bit of a quirk of scheduling.  Sort of like Baylor being undefeated right now.  Yes, theoretically they could knock off the main contenders and thus gain tie-breaker status over them, but realistically UCLA will certainly lose one, if not both, of the games against the South leaders.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Undefeated Minnesota is even worse…

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Yeah they shoudl be hearing Jaws music about now with Penn State is on its way to Minneapolis.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.