Unpopular opinion

Viewing 8 reply threads
      4 10

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

We were significantly overhyped in the preseason by the media. The media loves a good underdog story and we fit the mold. Outside of pre-season media hype, what gives you reason to believe that this team finishes conference play different than prior years? I think we are starting to see how special last year’s safeties and linebackers were to the team. Honestly, I see us finishing conference play with a 4-5 or 5-4 record. Past performance is usually a good indicator of future performance unless something fundamentally changes.

I believe we saw Whitt’s ceiling last year at 9-3 in regular season play. Based on the steep drop off in play between our 1 and 2’s and the rate we are accumulating injuries; I don’t see us making it down the stretch any different than prior seasons.

19 1

MTM
      Ute Fan
      @mtm

I understand the hype.
      A team that was 3 points from going to Rose Bowl returns 18 starters, including their two best players on Offense who missed the last half of the season.
      The two biggest losses on D were the linebackers but Bernard and Bowen seemed to mostly fill those shoes.
      The signs were there. Oh, and the season isn’t over yet.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I think a lot of the hype was under the assumption that the o-line and special teams would be as good as last season. So far they’re not. 

20 1

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

I’m not jumping off the hype train. There seems to be a portion of the Utah fan base that thinks we have to go undefeated to make the playoffs. That’s a leftover MWC mindset. An early loss on the road to USC is not the end of anything. This team is damn good. Get back on the train – you’ll have a great time around New Years.

11 1

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

The only thing that is realistically over is the playoff hype. Which, I never bought anyways. I knew we wouldn’t go undefeated. I just didn’t think we would lose to SC especially in the fashion that we did. We can still win the south and then just need to win the pac-12. My prediction was 10-2. Still achievable, however it will be much tougher without Moss. If Utah can pull it off this week get into the bye then beat OSU MOSS Should be back or close to being back against ASU/Cal. I like our chances in both of those games. I already have UW as a loss so this weekends game is really the key for me. We struggle with WSU home or away. We need this win. Win Saturday we are right back on track.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I agree that we (including me) underestimated how much we lost with our two safeties and linebackers.  They were exceptional and we are not at that level right now.  

Now, the pressure to go undefeated is gone.  Just go and enjoy the season.  I suspect we will still lose some games along the way and that’s okay.

Go Utes!!!

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

Overhyped or not there is still a lot of football to go. USC will probably lose to Washington this weekend. And then Oregon later this year. They just need to have a third loss so that Utah has breathing room to lose at Washington if necessary. The rest of the South is manageable. Things looked bleak last year after starting 0-2 in conference but the PAC 12 never goes as expected.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Problem: we play Washington too.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I believe we saw Whitt’s ceiling last year at 9-3 in regular season play.

I disagree. Whit’s ceiling, based on actual results, is undefeated. One might say, well, that was in the MWC. But he was also working with MWC resources.

If proof of a coach’s ceiling is their record as a coach, Whit is actually in the most elite of circles. How many active coaches have had an undefeated season as an FBS coach? I don’t know the answer, but I would bet it is a very small number. And Whit is among them.

If one supports replacing Whit, tell me which active coaches (that Utah has a chance of hiring) have demonstrated a higher ceiling?

3 1

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

“That Utah has a chance of hiring.” – I am f**king sick of this trope. Utah’s money is as green as anyone elses, and when Whitt does go, I’ll bet we get a fine hire.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Well, the color may be the same (green), but some schools have more than others. Regardless, ignore that part, and the question remains just as difficult to answer. My qualifier was simply that answers such as “Saban” are not realistic.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Um, We’re not going to hire a Saban, but you never know, maybe we could get somebody like Dan Mullen. An upper-mid-tier coach, preferably young, and successful at a smaller program, or even a P5 if they want a switch. We’ll be fine when Whitt decides to go.

AgouraUte
        @agouraute

I wasn’t advocating for Whitt to be fired. I just believe his ceiling is 9-3.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Understood. Some use that statement that we have seen Whit’s ceiling as a reason for replacing him. Regardless, I still do not believe Whit’s ceiling is 9-3, nor do I think there are many other coaches that have demonstrated a higher ceiling, no matter the program. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Nebraska really hated 9 win seasons. We don’t even sniff their history either. Ridiculous how some fans act. 

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

I take the “chance of hiring” to also be a reflection of the situation the coach would be leaving. Saban isn’t leaving Alabama, neither is Peterson at UW. Some coaches won’t leave a situation because of that situation regardless of the offer, just like KW has indicated is the case for him. If no program at all can pry a coach away from the position he is currently in, then no school has a “chance of hiring” that coach.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Unpopular opinion