Utah talented transfer portal list:

Viewing 4 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Hope guys find spots. Sione Lund, Mufi Hunt, added, shows Jaylon Dixon still in there.
      https://twitter.com/MUSSemeritus/status/1341566939706007553?s=20

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Read a great article about how the transfer portal is a crapshoot. Better know what your doing if we enter. For some guys it makes sense (Tonga, Hunt etc.) Others if you dont find a spot then you will better off where you were. Dixon and Boyd. Both would have played this year.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

That’s a good point. Guys who jump in without having at least one option of where they could go, that’s crazy!!!! How is Dixon still in the portal when he was borderline starter at Utah?

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

This is the point I was trying to make a week or so ago. With the recent RB transfers, I think Wilmore will be fine and probably already has a school or more who are vying for his services. Brumfield, I’m not so sure about. Whitt seemed to like him so I doubt he was run off the team. Whoever is whispering in these kids ears better know what they’re doing. But more often than not, it doesn’t seem like it since a lot of these kids end up not getting picked up anywhere.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Saw a tweet saying that the average star rating of the players in Utah’s transfer portal is higher than BYU’s highest rated recruiting class ever.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Don’t say that around here. There are still a ton of people here that are hurt by Zach Wilson, the one who got away.

Utes 69
          Ute Fan
          @slc123

Don’t say that around here. There are still a ton of people here that are hurt by Zach Wilson, the one who got away.

My response…Wilson, to me was average. he never beat Utah and I do not remeber a huge win over a top team that he beat?

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Exactly. When he plays against a team with talent, even if they’re not a good team, he’s very average.

Ute2
              Ute Fan
              @ute2

Wilson is good. It’s ok to say it!

We’d beat them this year like every other year. Because I think we were pretty good this year. And Wilson is really good.

Lots of things can be true at the same time.

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

Wilson is average. His play against decent teams is average. CCU even proved that this year, and just about every team he played the year before proved that.

Ute2
                  Ute Fan
                  @ute2

Byu is average. Wilson is good. It when he’s facing good teams and he’s surrounded by average, well, no qb will look very good.

The way things shook out, I wish he as a Ute.

3 1

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Downvote me if you want. But I was at the utah BYU game two years ago. I was so impressed with Wilson that day. I don’t watch TDS. And thoight we would crush them. I saw Wilson carve Utah’s NFL D for 2 1/2 quarters as a true freshman. We know how the game ended and what happened as a Soph. Stoked we won, but was impressed by him. The issue is that TDS builds him up and he buys into that annoying hype. But on a a normal team as a normal dude I think he’s really good.

6 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

It took Utah 1 and 1/2 quarters to beat him. Playing the TDS, a game which should never be scheduled again, the week before the CCG, put our D to sleep. When they woke up, they won going away. It’s not even debatable.

cjd1
          Ute Fan
          @cjd1

/\ /\ This

8 1

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Gents, I hate the TDS with a passion….as much as anyone on here. Other than seeing our Utes win against them or anyone else, nothing is more fun than to watch BYU-P get annihilated (aka LSU a couple of years ago and not ever crossing the 50 yard line). But it’s absolutely silly of anyone to talk about Zach Wilson as being anything less than a really good QB. There’s no question the kid is super talented and has worked incredibly hard to improve every year. I get it that he’s played against weak competition and it’s helped bolster his stats. But even still, he makes all the throws that have NFL scouts salivating. And as a result he’s on everyone’s draft boards to go in the 1st round and cash in on millions of dollars. Josh Allen didn’t play against great competition in college either and I think it’s safe to say that the Bills got it right with him. We certainly don’t need to cheer for Wilson…that’s not what I’m saying. But it’s better to not saying anything at all than to look stupid and try to cut the kid down.  

UteBacker
            Ute Fan
            @utebacker

He’s a Ute fan… he can’t be all that bad!

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

And he threw some pretty sweet TDs to our Utes haha

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Looking at his entire body of work and saying he is average is not cutting a kid down or being as you say “stupid”. As a Bills fan, I take your comparison to Josh Allen personally. Allen has better physical tools than Wilson ever will. Not his fault, it’s just how the gene pool worked out. Allen came into the NFL raw and you can see a steady increase in his play from year one until now. Maybe Wilson can benefit from some better coaching, but I think he is who he is. When he is under pressure, he makes bad throws and throws pick sixes. The evidence is his play on the field. Not some make believe nonsense from zoobville that the refs cheated or hate Mormons. Taysom Hill falls in the same boat. He’s a great athlete, but even with good NFL coaching, he’s not a great QB. None of this is stupid, it’s all based in facts from games played against decent to good, in the NFL it will be a lot harder. Before telling someone they’re saying something stupid, maybe go back and take a look. I’m sorry Utah chose Tuttle over Wilson. Literally no one else would have done anything different. But it’s time you get over it.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Come on man, anyone playing on Sundays is better than “just average”. And anyone getting drafted in the 1st round is certainly better than “average”. The same argument you’re making about him not looking as good against better teams could be made about him playing on a team with lesser talent (ie less than stellar OL and/or less than stellar WRs and RBs) as the reason for him being less effective…after all it is a team game. The point is, he’s proven he can make all the throws that any NFL team is looking for. He could completely flame out in the League or find a terrible fit in the wrong system and end up being a dud. But if he does end up getting drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft, that’s no joke and nothing I’d ever call “average”. And for the record, I’m not one who wishes we would’ve gotten Wilson…or the one who got away as has been stated on here. Because I don’t think he’s the right fit for our system. He’s very fortunate he played where he did and had the opportunity to sling it all over the place. He worked hard and maximized on the opportunity he had and for that he deserves all the credit he’s getting. Good for him. Because he never would’ve done that on one of our teams. Tyler Huntley did everything we wanted out of a QB running our offense and I wouldn’t have traded TH for Wilson. No cut on Wilson or saying Huntley is better, I’m just saying Huntley was a better fit for our system.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

I think he’s a legit NFL talent, better prospect than Jordan Love.  He’s been surrounded by untalented skill position players.  Outside of Bushman, there isn’t a player that starts for P5 teams, some aren’t even MW starters.  Zach gets them the ball, even against P5 competition.  That throw he made his freshman year against us where he dropped it into Bushman with Barton all over him was top shelf.  He can make all the throws.  Question for me is whether he can do it against consistent pressure.  He scores for the other team when under pressure.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

He can make throws when given time, I will admit that. But when under pressure he makes mistakes, can’t make more than two reads and throws picks. That’s what he’s done. Maybe that can change with some coaching. I don’t know. I guess we’ll see.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

We see it the same way. Hard to wait for a BYU receiver to come open though and Zach has thrown to alot of tight windows sometimes resulting in picks. They had all day to get open this year given BYU oline superiority over poor competition. They played alot of backyard football and Zach was the beneficiary. I’m not even sure he was on NFL radar coming into the year, but again I put alot of that on the talent around him.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Honestly, we don’t know with Wilson.  Back in the 80s the Y was, as now, one of the best mid majors.  Back then they had OLs that were better than almost all  mid major pass rushes.  Al the Ys QBs flourished.  Some like McMahon and Young went to the NFL, others didn’t.  This year was like those in the 80s so Wilson playing in the NFL is likely about that ratio of the QBs from the 80s.  And the OL is the real star.

MFury
          Ute Fan
          @mfury

I watched BYU UCF because I was curious about Wilson – never really watched them the rest of the season. My thoughts –
          1- the kid can throw the ball, Really well, pressure or not. Very few mistakes, moments of unreal capability
          2-he tries too hard, needs to learn to throw it away and play another down. About 4 NFL games should cure him of that. This is the source of the bad decisions IMO – should be an easy fix. At BYU there has been no penalty for this behaviour, so why would he have learned this?
          3- he is not as athletic as everyone thinks, I did not think he escaped well – I’d say his O line outweighing the opponent by 20-30% has more to do with perceived athleticism (and that his Oline was getting away with holding murder)

I wish him luck – I think he will either calm down and be an Alex smith style game manager that can hit every slant, out or crossing route, with occasional brilliance – or he won’t fix his decision making and will flame out like manziel (minus the substance abuse). Though I guess max hall showed us we can’t rule out the drugs.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah talented transfer portal list: