Utah has only one senior on the starting defense

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We all know that we have an elite defense. Could we be even better in 2024? The only senior starter is Broughton. He is the only player that we know won’t be back next season. There is a possibility of one or more players leaving for the NFL. I suspect Bishop is most likely, but I wouldn’t say that is a sure thing. Ried is a possibility as well as Tafuna. Since Tafuna has had a hard time getting on the field this year, I suspect he won’t leave.

The transfer portal is always a possibility. I think some non-starters may transfer in order to get some playing time elsewhere. But, unless there is something I don’t know – I would be surprised if any starters transferred.

I really like what our D could look like in 2024. We should be very good and deep at every position. (Now, if we can just develop an offense.)

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

I don’t see a lot transferring either since they will have to give up a truck!

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

As I understand it, the trucks are just 6 month leases.

Is this going to be a one-time thing, or are they planning to do the trucks every year?

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

It’s currently planned to be offered in perpetuity. If a player leaves due to transfer or graduation the truck opportunity is likely transferred to another eligible incoming player.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

I don’t think it’ll be the same truck. If I’m not mistaken, every year the players will get a different new truck and the previous truck that they had will be sold or fleeted out. I’ve seen teams like Real Madrid have sponsoring deals with Audi and BMW in which all of their players actually select the model vehicle they want. I imagine Utah would have recruits beating down its door if it could get a similar deal.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

A whole six month lease that they have to give back anyway?

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

Not exactly, the lease is intended to be stable and renewed for 6 month intervals as long as the player remains a scholarship level player. If a player transfers or his eligibility is exhausted and he leaves the program, then the lease expires, freeing up a spot for an incoming scholarship player.

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

They might gain an offense though

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

It will be interesting to see this year’s young CBs get into rotations. Ridcliffe might play defense. The portal or mission field could provide other pieces. Logan returns and I expect the defense will be very good again.

Redblood
      Ute Fan
      @redblood

A lot will depend on how Ritchie develops because our best player (Bishop) is a Junior but will definitely leave for the draft. He makes a huge impact overall.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

Sounded like they were going to sell off the trucks after 1yr and probably just keep replacing them if this works out.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

I don’t think Reid will leave. The draft reports I’ve seen from him aren’t too high. Tafuna probably won’t leave either, since he hasn’t played much and hasn’t looked like an all conference player since his freshman year. Bishop will be the key to coming back, but I also think we can replace him. Ritchie, Hall, or a transfer safety should be fine, but I definitely would want to keep. Broughton would be addition by subtraction.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah has only one senior on the starting defense