Utes at Stanford Game Discussion

Viewing 13 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We beat the trees 64-56 in OT here back on Feb 6. Had a big lead, then had to go to OT to finish it off.  Of course hoping we can play well at Stanford, but this team has really struggled on the road. 

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

It would be nice to see a maximum effort from the guys tonight. GO UTES!!!!!!!

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

If by maximum effort you mean starting out the game down 14-2, you got it!

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Or perhaps starting the game with like 76 consecutive turnovers?

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

My goodness this team plays poorly away from home

loyter
      Ute Fan
      @loyter

I think the lack of anyone complaining about this team says a lot about where we are as a fan base. Down 15, more turnovers than shots…
      And nobody complains, which means, this is what our fanbase expects.

EutawStreet
        Ute Fan
        @eutawstreet

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
        We’re not insane. We’re numb.

2 2

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I keep watching Utah Basketball expecting Larry to be a good coach. That’s insanity right there.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Down 29-11.  Scored 11 points in 14 minutes.  This is awful.

Charlie Foxtrot
        Ute Fan
        @charliefoxtrot

I would love to see coach K put 5 of the best athletic players on the floor at the same damn time for at least some spans of a game.  Carlson, Lahat, Allen, Plumber, and Gach and you know just see what happens.  It can’t be any worse than 9 points and 835 turnovers for a 12 min span.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

they scored 20 points in the last 11 minutes of the first half. If things stay the way they have for the last 11 minutes it should be a competitive game.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Carlson is our best 3 point shooter tonight, that tells you all you need to know about how we are shooting. YIKES!

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

I believe that Gach is now 2 out of his last 35 trey attempts. I dearly wish I was making that stat up.

EutawStreet
          Ute Fan
          @eutawstreet

Carlson is 1-3.  Brenchley is 1-1.

2 1

Jake Udy
      Ute Fan
      @jakeudy

We are such a joke. Allen is the most predictable player in the conference. Gach has forgotten how to play entirely. Battin is incredibly mediocre. Plummer is streaky. Brenchley has a hard time getting open. Carlson and jones are the only guys I trust to consistently make plays

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Man the turnovers… 

2 2

EutawStreet
        Ute Fan
        @eutawstreet

You pass like that in games because you pass like that in practice, and the coach lets you get away with it. 

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Gach has been horrible. Can’t shoot (i can somewhat overlook the rustiness from his time away). Can’t pass. Turnover machine. Often out of control.

He may be physically gifted, but he hasn’t shown much BB intelligence.

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

At this point, i wouldn’t be bothered if either Bach or Batting transfers. Maybe they will blossom elsewhere, but I just don’t see that much. They have had their moments, but have also been such a liability.

McAfeeKnob
      Ute Fan
      @ogdenparaiso

who let that annoying parot into the game?

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Jones is amazing… Gimpy leg, broken rib… doesn’t matter, that kid plays balls to the wall 100% of the time.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

goodness… the shooting on this team when they play an away game is unbelievably bad

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We came back just enough to give us hope that could be crushed again.

3 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If this team didn’t have so much potential (this team including it’s incoming members), I wouldn’t be tempted to watch these games. The current iteration of the team is painful to watch most of the time (especially on the road). With the amount of wide open shots we miss (usually very badly), you’d think we were watching a church ball game unfold.

Despite the fact that the team’s play is more often than not excruciating to behold, the potential of a few of the players has me coming back for more each game. Jones plays his heart out and makes good decisions with the ball even though his body is broken in multiple ways, and he’s probably on all sorts of pain killers. Carlson has had more in season growth than any player I’ve ever seen. He went from being the guy that could dunk the ball when he got it within a foot or two of the basket, to the guy that can do that, plus shoot threes, find the open man, and block 8 shots in a game TWICE this season… He also happens to be our best rebounder. As his body matures, and he improves (even ever so slightly) on his ball handling, and shooting he could be the most well rounded big man we have ever had outside of maybe Doleac. Gach has a ton of potential, but can’t seem to put it together between the ears. You can see him actively avoiding open shots (though he at least takes it to the hole on occasion).

Jantunen will be a stabilizing force on this team in the future. He is pretty good at a lot of things. He’ll be crucial to the team’s success in the future.

Jones needs to put some meat on those bones of his. When that happens, and we have guys around him who are playing confident basketball and hitting open shots, he will be very very good (though clearly he is limited athletically).

Allen will likely be what he is for the rest of his time here. I really don’t see him developing an outside shot, he just isn’t capable of it IMO. He’s a good leader, and a guy we can go to when we have to get something going… but he won’t be our #1 guy going forward.

If Battin can just mature and be good at what he is supposed to be good at, he could be Jordan Loveridge. Unfortunately, he is trending in the wrong direction in a very very bad way.

Plummer is what he is, we need him now, hopefully not as much next year.

The rest of the guys on the team won’t ever do much more than they are currently doing. We have to keep one of Thioune or MVK, but the rest could disappear tonight and there would be literally zero on court impact of any kind both now and in the future. Brenchley might put it together someday, but he currently doesn’t seem to have “it.” He’s just kind of okay at everything. When he shoots you get the sense that he knows it isn’t going in the hoop. That is a problem.

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

This game was a perfect encapsulation of why this season has been frustrating. First half it looked like we’d never even practiced before and as the turnovers piled up I texted a friend that 20 points should be our goal – for the game. Second half we clearly made some coaching adjustments (proving competency is at least possible) and had two open looks from three to tie the game late. As usual though, most of the blame should fall on the black uniforms and the fact we continue to wear them more than once a year.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

You sure it was coaching adjustments or did Stanford coast while sitting on a big lead?

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Utes at Stanford Game Discussion