Utes projected to be in first 12 team CFP

Viewing 4 reply threads
      5 4

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Utah is getting a lot of 2024 love (probably more than we deserve). But, I find it interesting that so many 2024 projections include our Utes. This projection has us winning the Big 12 in 2024. It certainly is possible. But, if I was projecting a conference winner today – I would pick Arizona. They had a great season and they have Fefita back.

2024 CFP

10 3

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’m going to be a broken record on this…but why do we not deserve this credit?

We won the PAC-12 two of the last three years. We’ve been in the title game the last four full seasons before this one.

We had half our team injured. And we still had 8 wins. And beat USC. And took UW to the wire. We only lost to UW, Oregon, Oregon State and Arizona. All ranked teams.

Hell, had we beaten Northwestern, we probably finish the year ranked.

This is called being a respected program.

We return a ton of players, our defense will be elite again and our schedule will be exponentially easier next year.

We are a 10+ win team. 9 wins would be a disappointment.

Why wouldn’t we be a playoff team? Why wouldn’t we be a top 12 team?

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

you said we beat USC followed by we lost to USC.

2 1

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

Preach brother!

I love that Kyle Whittingham, his staff and players have risen the Utah program to this level of expectation.

2 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

For those of you who downvoted me, why wouldn’t be the favorite in the Big 12?

We have the most talent.
        We have the most stable and best coaching staff.
        We are used to schedules a lot tougher than what we will face.
        We have the best defense.
        We have the best QB in the conference.
        We are one of, if not the most experienced team in the Big 12.

Who would you put above us and how are they better than us in the areas I listed above?

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

We have Rising back; We won’t have half our team injured; The game this year is in SLC.

Why in the world would you favor AZ over us?

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I also follow UofA. They overachieved this last year and that was great. I am not there yet that they have the ball rolling near as well as Utah. UofA will do well in the Big 12 but they are not at the point at all to expect to win at Utah. We will benefit from their rise to help us in ranking.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

winning 7 straight to end the year definitely puts a target on your back. Just like Washington in 2023, Arizona will need to prove that the previous year wasn’t a fluke.

They’ve got a ton of young talent but as Utah routinely proves, it can be easier to be the hunter than the hunted

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

I also don’t think they will be immune from all of the coaching changes going on right now. Fish might not even be there next year when this all gets settled.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Utah fan 2010: “Nobody respects us! Boo hoo…”
      Utah fan 2024: “Why does the national media think we are good?” SMH

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

If you look at end of regular season rankings since the schedule went to 12 games, P5 teams that go 9-3 end up between 10 and the low 20’s based on who they beat. So the predictions aren’t for anything more than the usual Utah season. Utah’s average record for the last 7 full seasons is 8.6-3.4.

It’s not hype. It’s an acknowledgment that Utah is consistently good. And assuming normal health, should be close to exactly what they always have been. The only change is that winning your conference as a 9-3 team will now get you into the playoff.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utes projected to be in first 12 team CFP