We never know how injured players really are

Viewing 3 reply threads

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Had a very interesting conversation yesterday with someone close to the Covey family.  He said that after the Arizona game, Britain was never really more than 50% healthy for the entire rest of the year.  He had multiple injuries that we never heard about.  The dude so badly wanted to just strap on the pads and play.  He was frustrated that his performance was hindered, but thought he could still contribute so he decided to play instead of shutting it down.

I came away from the discussion with two thoughts:

1.  Football is a massively violent game, and we never have any idea of the injuries and pain many of these players are playing through each week.  For every injury we actually hear about, there’s probably another dozen or so that these kids are simply finding a way to tough their way through.

2.  I have mad respect for Covey.  Dude is tough as nails, and is laying it all on the line every week.  

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

We really need to put him in pass routes where he is not going to get hammered.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Thats basically what they do from the slot position. You can’t prevent him from taking hits. The only thing that can be improved is the accuracy of passes that will allow him to protect him self or at least catch and run. Some of the worst hits he took (see UW game) were passes that got to him late or weren’t on target.

Ultimately he’s a very small football player and guys are going to want to blow him up.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Had a broken wrist most of the season I heard.  Explains some of the fumbles.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

Sure, you have to admire the toughness. But at what point does an injured player become a liability to the team?

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Jordan Wynn hid his injury from the staff because he wanted to play. Granted he didn’t know the extent of the injury (torn labrum*), but him being less effective likely cost us several games that year.

*Tony and I both know what the recovery from a torn labrum feels like…

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Yup I’m in a sling right now. Torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, torn bicep.

astUTE
              Ute Fan
              @astute

I assume you mean bicep tendon…  Have you had it reparied surgically? 

I had the same injury, could not schedule surgury quickly, and by the time i did, they could no longer repair the tendon.  If you haven’t had it done already, do it quickly.

Tony (admin)
                Admin/Founder
                @admin

Yes bicep tendon. They cut off the torn part and screwed the end into the bone.

astUTE
                  Ute Fan
                  @astute

Glad it worked out for you.  Mine was so deteriorated they could not reattach it.  I’ll have to be careful with my right arm the rest of my life, but at least with a bicep, there is another tendon.

Since you are a software guy, I’ll warn you that the sling isn’t great for keyboarding, but at least you’re not a roofer 🙂

The shoulder rehab was not as painful for me as I had heard, but it’s no bed of roses either.

To a speedy recovery, my friend!  And thanks for all you do for this community!

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

He was almost the only reliable target on the field. TT started to use him as a decoy more and more. I can see why our offense sizzled out. 

The WR Corp needs to be Utah’s most improved position group this season. Ludwig needs to be hyper focused on that group and get them back to sure handed. 

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

It certainly has the most room to improve.

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

Yup. He could barely hold the ball at all in that hand. Also said the break was severely aggravated multiple times during the season, but he played through it.

They did mention that the rehab is going pretty well and he’s doing everything he can to be ready for fall camp, which is encouraging.

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

After seeing him stand on the sideline with his leg in a brace after his injury at the P12 Championship game the dude is a born leader. He was cheering on his teammates while his injured QB and RB sat on a bench on the sidelines looking at their phones. Even if he never plays another down he will influence his team through his personality. He is by far one of my favorite Utes of all time. 

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

yeah… Torn knee, trainers try to help him get to the sideline, he brushes them off, stands up, hops up and down, and proceeds to pump up the crowd and team. Amazing leader.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Couldn’t agree with you guys more. I’m all about Covey. 

I’ve said it before, with his charisma, leadership, underdog story, toughness, work ethic, etc. the dude embodies the Utah football program. I sure hope Kyles got a spot for him on the staff in some capacity when he graduates.

Give me one reason why he wouldn’t make a dynamite recruiter in a few years? And if you can, don’t you think he could overcome that shortfall with his work ethic and studiousness? Dude is a natural talent and a student of whatever he does. 

Heres to a speedy recovery, a great season and a spot on the staff in the future. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football We never know how injured players really are