What last nights loss cost us

Viewing 4 reply threads
      6 1

NashvilleTNUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @nashvilletnutefan

I’m still so angry that I just need to lay out everything that last nights loss cost us:

1) an at large bid to the dance

2) a top 4 seed in the conference tourney, which in turn also cost us a chance at winning the tourney. Our only chance (and still very slight) was having to play one less game.

3) any and all fan interest that was built up from being in the tourney conversation this late in the season

4) don’t know for sure but probably all support from boosters who cannot be pleased with the results of this season. This will trickle down to affect recruiting in a big way. Presumably the only way to fix this one is firing Craig

5) any chance of making the tourney in the coming years.
      If anybody thinks we can be remotely competitive in the big 12 the next few years barring some major personnel changes (both coach and players) I’ve got a bridge to sell you

NashvilleTNUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @nashvilletnutefan

To take #2 further, I’m not sure how multi-team tie breakers work with seeding but it’s very plausible that there could be a 5-way tie for the 5th seed with 5 teams at 9-11. Don’t care enough to try and figure out where we would shake out in that scenario but considering we’ve lost at least one game to everyone except UCLA and Cal, I’m guessing that tie breaker would not be kind to us. We could end up as the 9 seed. Unreal

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I agree with everything you said…except #5.

1. With the portal being such a huge part of college basketball, none of us have any idea what level of team we’ll be fielding.
      2. Being in the Big 12 might increase our chances of getting into the tournament, even with a worse record. This year there are three teams with losing conference records with a shot at getting in. The good news in the Big 12 is every night you play a Quad 1 game. The committee really likes Quad 1 wins, and you have many more opportunities to get one in the Big 12.

NashvilleTNUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilletnutefan

This is a fair point. I suppose we may be able to pull off a couple big wins at home, we play well at home. But we are going to get crucified on the road. Can you imagine the outcome playing in Allen Fieldhouse if we can’t beat Oregon state with 100 people in the crowd? Makes me ill thinking about it

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Can I add one?

6) This season has really done nothing to pull us fair-weather fans back in, and this program desperately needs us. I know, catch-22 here, the program needs all of the support and fan excitement it can get in order to attract quality players. I’d hate to be Harlan right now.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Might as well just cancel men’s basketball. They’re never going to win a game ever again, let alone get to the Big Dance.

T I C

Chill out people!!

Will Utah get back to what they were in the Rick Majerus years next year? No, but they certainly still can.

In spite of what happens tomorrow night in Eugene and then in the Pac12 tournament, this year was a positive step forward.

Not saying I love last nights results or the road struggles this team is having this year, but it’s certainly NOT NEARLY AS BAD as some people are painting a picture of on here today.

NashvilleTNUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilletnutefan

I like the positivity UtesRule, but I have to disagree with you on this season being a positive step forward. In my opinion, this season was a failure if not for one reason: we got worse as the season went on and not better. That’s a terrible reflection on the leadership of the program. And had we not gotten lucky with the NCAA ruling that allowed Deivon to play risk-free, it would’ve been that much uglier. And as has been stated, the pac is a weak basketball conference this year and we likely will end with a sub .500 conference record. There’s nothing positive for me that came out of this season, the only redeeming thing that could happen is Carlson gets a chance at the NBA because of how well he played this year for the majority of the year. I will always appreciate what he did for this program.

NashvilleTNUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilletnutefan

There was one other positive thing about this season that I should mention: getting to watch Deivon play. Man is he electric. His decision making at times was a little questionable but all in all, he brought an element to this team we haven’t seen since Delon Wright. He was so fun to watch this year. I just wish him and Carlson had more help. They had virtually none outside of a few hot games from Madsen (which seems to be his ceiling). If what some have said is true about Deivon having eligibility left to return next year, that alone may be enough to get me out to the games again next year

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Yeah, sorry brother, but you if you think that this season was a positive step forward then you haven’t been paying attention all season. As Nashville mentions, the team regressed as the season went along and hasn’t really been competitive away from the Huntsman during conference play. It’s a real disappointing end to a season which started with a lot of potential.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) What last nights loss cost us