What percentage of a successful passing program is due to the QB?

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

DJ asked this querstion to Norm Chow this morning.  He asked if is it 70-30 QB and receivers or 60-40.

I think Chow surprised him with his answer.  Keep in mind that Norm Chow was one of the most prominent offensive coaches over 40 years.

He said it is:

50% offesnive line

30% QB

20% Receivers

So, according to Chow – no team is going to be successful passing wiothout a solid offensive line.  It is the key component to a solid passing program.  It certainly makes sense.  If the QB doesn’t have time, he will never be successful no matter how well he can throw.

If Huntley hasn’t met your expectations this year, it may have more to do with his line than anything else.  Also, receivers need to run good routes and get open.  I have not seen a lot of separation with our receivers and the opposing DBs.  In the end, as Covey said in an interview this week – everyone plays a role in our success and there were plenty of mistakes made including him.  He pointed out the importance of everyone being on the same page when reading the defensive coverage.  He admitted that he and the tight ends were not always on the same page last week.  Sometimes it appears tha the QB made a horrible throw when it was the WR running the wrong route.

I hope we get the details worked out and we can score tomorrow night.  I think we will need a minimum of 24 points to win.  Can our offense geenerate 24 points?  I don’t know, but I hope they do.

snafu
      Ute Fan
      @snafu

Losing Chow after just one season was a huge blow to the program. His offense is the style we should be running @ Utah IMO

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

His departure was the beginning of the limbo of the last eight years. I agree completely his offense was right for us. Moss behind a line, TE and a FB, plus play action please.

Micah Montgomery
      Ute Fan
      @bootywrecker

92% bro

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I believe a prime example of what Coach Chow said being true is the Washington Redskins of the 1980’s and early 90’s. They won 3 Super Bowls with the same coaching staff and basically the same OL with 3 different QB’s. Great line play leads to great offense. Poor line play leads to injured and broken QB’s.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What percentage of a successful passing program is due to the QB?