When Coach Whit retires my dream Coaching staff

Morgan Scalley HC
      Brian Johnson OC
      Eric Weddle Dc

1 2

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I respect the history, but given the trajectory that most people on this board expect, I am not sure this group should be our top choice.

1 2

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I have experienced several high performing programs (college & professional) lose a charismatic/high-functioning HC/Manager and then promote a successor from the assistant ranks. It is not a fun ride to watch a program plummet to obscurity.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I have a bug in the current version of the app I need to fix! Who posted this topic? Please let me know and make sure you’re logged in.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

…and regarding this topic, I don’t think Weddle is a proven entity at DC, as awesome as he is.

1 3

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I would say that the other two are also not proven entities at the positions assigned, as awesome as they are.

8 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I would prefer to have someone like Shah be the DC, someone who has had years of experience coaching a position group at least. Weddle obviously has zero experience coaching college football, so that wouldn’t be a great idea. Shah hasn’t done the best job with the ST, but they are improving each year under him. So that is at least trending in a positive direction. If not Shah, I’d be okay with any of the position coaches on the defense right now tbh, I just picked Shah because he’s been around the longest.

I would say:

HC: Scalley
        OC: Harding
        DC: Shah (Jay Hill if we can get him back)

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

There is zero shot at BJ coaching at Utah any time in the near future. He will take some HC job interviews and OC interviews in the next 6 weeks. 

He will then be hired as the Eagles OC when Steichen takes over a NFL team. 

Then, in 1-3 years, he will be an NFL HC. BJ is about as hot a coaching candidate can be right now. He won’t be a college coach for a long time, and if he ever is, it’s most likely a HC, not a coordinator. 

Unfortunately for us, he’s too big time for us as an OC. Ha ha. 

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

Agreed, going to Utah wouldn’t probably be viewed as taking a step back for him. Unless Utah somehow lands him as the HC

I would love for Utah to bring back Jay Hill as a DC

OC would be tough, Utah will probably make an outside hire and Scalley would be the HC

8 6

Ute_tastic
      Ute Fan
      @ctbo139pk

This is going to sound arrogant but Utah is a top 15 program now and I expect that will continue.

Top 15 programs don’t hire first-time head coaches. While I’m a huge fan of Scalley and I’m sure that he will be an HC sooner than later, for Utah’s program’s sake his first HC job should not be here.

Legacy hires for legacy’s sake is not a good idea and there are quite a few examples of that like frost at Nebraska,  Detmer at… nevermind they’re irrelevant, and Neuheisel at UCLA, 

2 3

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

THANK YOU. This is what I have been trying to say.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

UO seemed to do okay with a first-time HC….DL’s just the first example off the top of my head.

Had LR ever been a HC before taking the reins from Stoops at OU? He seemed to fare okay….That’s just another example.

MS wouldn’t be the first newbie to ever take over & I suspect he’ll fare well, particularly if he keeps a lot of the current coaches on staff.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

This is a rare case.

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

What’s a rare case? I listed two….I could name a bunch more….The list is endless.

dystopiamembrane
              Ute Fan
              @dystopiamembrane

I was referring to Phil Knight’s school. I didn’t notice that there was more text under the initial sentence. I use the website to access the content exclusively. My apologies for not seeing the additional text.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

IKR? I mean, pretty much all of the best college football coaches were hired as first time HCs by their programs (with the exception being Saban). Smart, Day, Riley, Swinney, Whitt…

TSPP was just incredibly dumb for hiring someone with ZERO college coaching experience to be their OC. Anyone with two brain cells knew that ish wasn’t going to work out, and it was hilarious to watch.

6 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Scalley isn’t going to be the next HC because he’s a former Ute player. He’s going to be the next HC because he is just that good.

Also, your assertion that top 15 programs don’t hire first time HCs is completely false. Ryan Day at Ohio State is one example. Dabo Swinney at Clemson is another example (I suppose you might say they weren’t a top 15 program, but they weren’t that far off). Kirby Smart had never been a HC when he was hired by Georgia to be their HC. Smart also spent pretty much all of his time as an assistant under the same HC (Saban) much like Scalley.

Really… could you be MORE wrong? Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson are 3 of the top 5 most successful programs in CFB right now. Lincoln Riley is another one. His first HC gig was Oklahoma. When you have a guy that has proven he has what it takes, you don’t let him go coach somewhere else… and KYLE WHITTINGHAM was a first time head coach when the Utes hired him to replace Urban. How did that work out for us?

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I respect your data. I stand corrected. I support a Scalley hire.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

While I agree with you that it’s risky to take on a guy without HC experience, it’s all a moot point now. Whitt basically said before the Rose Bowl that Scalley was taking over for him. There is zero doubt who our next HC will be. 

When Whitt retires, it will be Scalley and Shah as DC. Possibly Shah and Swan as co-DC’s. I woudln’t be shocked if Harding is the OC. 

Talk about as little turnover as possible. Ha ha. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football When Coach Whit retires