Viewing 10 reply threads

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Jalen Dixon to the portal?  Fetch.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I was really excited to see him this year.

maybe it just means we’re that loaded???

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Probably.

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

We must be REALLY good. 

he could take the top off of anybody.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Well, it’d be the first year ever.

Walkman
      Ute Fan
      @btw6btw6

Our deep threat – not sure why he would leave when the passing game stands to be featured this year.  I would have guesses if a guy was leaving it would have been Enis.  Too bad

Walkman
        Ute Fan
        @btw6btw6

Wonder if he is headed to Utah St. to join Jason Shelley

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

That’s what I was thinking.  He and Shelley WERE high school teammates, and, back when Shelley was under Center, it seemed that Dixon had a lot more passes thrown his way.  Plus, I noticed that he was 2nd on the most recent depth chart release.  Maybe he felt he deserved a higher position.

Personally, with Dixon’s speed and versatility (I actually like him better than Covey), I feel this will be a big loss.

Sure seems late in the season for any transferring going on.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Not good.  I would like to know the back story.  He is listed as a starter, so I highly doubt it was about playing time.  

Seems like an odd time to enter the portal.  Why not wait until January.  This year does not count against his eligibility.  There has got to be more to this story.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Not listed as starter.

Fall Depth chart

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

Whitt likes to send messages with the depth chart.  I wonder if that’s why Jalen is listed as a co-backup.  Hate to see him go but we’re going to ask a lot of youngsters to step up this year… what’s one more?

Yergensen
            Ute Fan
            @yergensen

The messages these depth charts and coaching decisions send are mixed and confusing.  They could even hint of indecision or diplomacy.  Take Shelley, steps in and wins our first South title and almost the conference and he gets demoted to QB3 behind a walkon who hasn’t seen the field.  If you’re emphasizing and rewarding effort over performance and talent, of which Dixon has shown plenty of both, these are the consequences.  I’ll go ahead and say it, Simpkins should not have played in front of Dixon last year and Covey (blasphemy, I know) and Enis should not be playing in front of him this year.

LetItRide
      Ute Fan
      @letitride

Was watching PAC 12 network replay this morning of UW game and then Colorado.
      Dixon was beasting. If true this really hurts.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Paging @OnlyU (if he’s comfortable sharing any info he might have).

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

I second this.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

He hasn’t been around the last few days so knew something was up. Combination of being behind Brit Covey heading into his Jr year and looking at an opportunity maybe a little further North with his best friend.

Samson and Brit will likely take most of the snaps in the Slot this season (and next fall) with JD getting some vertical routes in. Vele coming on and Money Parks coming in makes an already crowded room much more crowded.

We lose the speed of that deep threat but that was probably going to be his main/only role this season. Brit has a deeper skill set and willingness underneath and so does Nacua so JD might have had to wait until next year to be featured and it doesn’t sound like he was willing to wait.

Bryan Thompson can go vertical and the ball skills that Vele possesses definitely help replacing JD downfield. My biggest concern is if we suffer an injury with either we’ll be left to roll a younger guy out there.

I really can’t say enough about Vele…late bloomer in recruiting but BEST ball skills on the team today IMO.

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

Much appreciate the info, OnlyU. “BEST ball skills on the team” – now I can’t wait to see Vele!

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Ohh SUCK. I hadn’t heard until just reading this.

My first thought after “SUCK!” was I wonder if it was related to Shelley leaving as well.

I really liked DHC and now Dixon coming into the season seeing what they would do being more heavily relied on.

Trying to make myself feel better thoughts… Hopefully this is a sign how far the U program has come, losing this kind of quality of players due to the amount of quality players and depth just sitting and waiting. That thought started with the DT that left to USC a few years ago and the two WR’s Repp and Mariner the other year.

2 1

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

WTF .. that’s not a loss I am good with .. and why now .. I really hope Britain is a 100 % .. next man up

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

My bet is he ends up in Logan with his old high school classmate, Jason Shelley.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

This makes me sad. I can’t blame a guy seeking opportunities. He was a weapon. Would have been nice to have, but that was the one thing the stood out to me on the depth chart.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I wish Dixon was staying.  However, a healthy Covey may be our best weapon.  As an inside receiver he can get open unlike anyone else on the team.  Snaps behind Covey may not be enough for two receivers.  Dixon is too small, as is Covey, for the outside.  But I feel he was our best option on the jet sweep.  Dixon was not on the spring depth chart, don’t know why.  Young-Smith is a mystery due to injuries and coming back from the defense.  I wonder if he has been showing some ability to demand some snaps.  Every indication was that Dixon was happy here so I suppose that a crowded WR room is the likely cause.  The timing is very late and the news is upsetting, maybe lots of WRs needing to play and sharing catches with a very good TE group does not provide the opportunities that another school like USU provides.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whhhhyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!