Who was Utah’s greatest basketball player?

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

The post below about the best recruits got me thinking about the best players.

In recent years it has to be Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, and Andrew Bogut.  But, Billy McGill has to be the best Ute basketball player ever.  I looked up his stats.  In his senior year, he averaged 38.8 points a game and 15 rebounds.  That’s amazing.  I remember the headline after a close win against BYU when McGill scored 60.  It said something like, “If McGill only scored 50 – Utah would have lost.”

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I guess one could argue the best single season by a Ute player may have been Bogut with all the awards he won and the 1st round draft pick. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Billy McGill was also the first pick in the NBA draft and I assume he won many awards, but I cannot remember the details.

PAC12Teams
          Ute Fan
          @utahbb

As a senior in 1961-1962, McGill averaged 38.8 points and 15.0 rebounds, leading the Utes to a 26-3 record and a #7 final ranking.[20] Utah was banned from the 1962 NCAA tournament, because a Ute player had earlier accepted a plane ticket from a booster.[21]

During the season, McGill scored 60 points vs. Brigham Young on February 24, 1962 in a 106-101 victory.[22] His 60 points remains the school record.

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @utebiquitous

I think McGill was the greatest Ute. He would have been a great pro if his legs had held up. The biography on McGill goes into detail about a knee injury that affected him – I believe beginning in his second or third year at the U. He was constantly visiting a physician who drained his knee to enable him to continue playing. The conjecture in the book leads one to believe he was playing with severly damaged knees late college and throughout his short NBA career. It’s always left me wondering what if. This is a player who would play pick up games with Wilt and more than hold his own in the summers while he was developing from a high school to a college player.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Utah was 22-3 during McGill’s senior season and finished #7.  But because of some stupid NCAA rules infraction, they were not allowed to play in the NCAA tournament that year.  Sucks, huh?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Andre Miller is my favorite Ute across all sports and throughout all time. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree with Andre being a favorite.  Others I would add to the list of favorites for me would be:

Alex Smith

Huntley

Mike Newlin

Chase Hansen

Roy Jefferson

Keith Van Horn

Eric Weddle

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Waddle is a close second. Alex Jensen was also one of the best defenders in college I have ever watched. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Such a stud. 

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Amen

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

Andre was my favorite. Bogut was the best. He had little talent around him and carried utah to the sweet 16 where of course we lost to uk. That guy was an unreal force.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

McGill was before my time so I just have to leave it to his records and witnesses to account for it. But there’s something about Bogut doing ALL that he did by his SOPHOMORE year. His ceiling as a four-year player would have been ridiculous and would have made him clearly the best we’ve ever had. He’s arguably there with only two seasons under his belt.

Then again, I saw KVH and Miller with my own eyes and they were special. Very, very special.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Who was Utah’s greatest basketball player?