Why did we apparently lost Moa?

Viewing 4 reply threads

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

I thought I heard it was a positional issue? That Moa wanted to play one position and the Ute coaches projected him at a different spot. He was certainly a talented player we would have preferred not to lose, but I think it was a mutual understanding he thought he would fit better elsewhere and Utah coaches agreed to let him walk.

1 2

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

There are two reasons.  

1. Utah has a very limited number of scholarships.  They had planned on Moa going on a mission first.  When he decided that he would not be going on a mission – this threw a wrench in the press.  I am not suggesting that this issue could not be worked out, but it did cause everyone involved to rethink things.

2.  Moa really likes Sitake.  He likes the idea of playing for him.

Oh well.  We win some and lose some. 

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

3. He wants to play DE, but our coaches see him more as a DT at the next level. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I believe this also may be true.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

His two uncles that played college football (one at BYU as a TE (Carlos Nuno), the other at UofU and Weber St as a DE/TE who never actually played much (Daniel Nuno) were both probably more suited to playing DT than DE. Given that he is already 240, and only 6 ft 2, I tend to agree that he would be better as a DT.

Also, I don’t blame him for not wanting to be stuck behind Carlton and fillinger for the forseeable future. Both of those dudes are balling out. I think the coaches knew he would be more needed as a DT, and he didn’t want that.

I don’t know what to believe as far as his relationship with Kalani vs his Ute recruiters is concerned. On one hand, I’m sure his father knows Po’uha… but Kalani is a VERY likeable guy, and his uncle Los may be good friends with Kalani (he’s best friends with Hans Olsen, who is good buddies with Kalani so probably). This family connection may have been stronger than his father’s connection with Po’uha. I don’t know them well enough to tell.

5 2

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

He’s not as good as his star ranking indicates. Not a big loss.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I’m guessing this was much more of a mutual decision (Moa decommitting) than what he led on. The big clue is when he emphatically tweeted that his schollie was not pulled. Why would a big time recruit even go there and mention this? The truth is Utah projects him as a DT and has an open spot for him after a mission in 2+ years. Do they have a schollie for him at DT next year at his current size? With all of the Freshman DT’s at Utah getting an extra COVID year there’s not a lot of need to add a project DT into the mix. TDS might in fact be a much better fit for him, considering the timing. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

There is a definite logjam at DT – as well as every other position. Togiai moved to O-Line this year and Utah should be getting Tanavasu back from his mission (assuming he resigns).

Not to mention that Moala might be eligible for a medical redshirt if he doesn’t play again in 2021.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why did we apparently lost Moa?