Wow, 2023 has been a crazy season

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We will apparently be starting the 5th-string QB this weekend.

We are down to the third-string TE.

Jackson has been hobbled all season. Bernard played in one game. Curry was only able to play a few plays. Vaki looked good, then he has not been at full strength since USC.

We have had some injuries at WR and offensive line too.

On defense – we are missing two defensive ends with season-ending injuries. The two who are now starting, have missed much of the season as well.

Two defensive tackles missed half of the season.

Our two (all-conference caliber) LBs are out.

Our All-American safety has been out and is questionable this weekend.

Our kicker was out for part of the season and our designated return-guy has only played two games.

It has been one crazy season with injuries and so much else. The silver lining may be that some guys got some experience they may not have gotten otherwise.

I don’t know who will be playing against CU this Saturday. I don’t have high expectations, but I hope we can end the season on a positive note.

Go Utes and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

The only solace I take in all this is that Utah is not mentally weak and Colorado is the weakest team I’ve ever seen. I’m sure Colorado will come out fired up, but if we can hit them in the mouth, they will fold.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

The OL has had it’s issues as well with people coming and going. The one with the most impact is center. Last year’s center chose to leave when it was to become an open competition for ’23, it would have been nice if he would have stuck it out and improved the shotgun snaps. The planed starter never made it back onto the field. Bad news for the position that calls assignments for the line.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I forgot about that. Must suck to not go bowling your senior year. lol.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Today, I’m grateful that our program is in a position that an 8-4(?) record is considered a disappointment. We’ve come a long way.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Personally, I can’t consider the actual season a disappointment. If the full complement of players (Rising, Kuithe, Barton, Bernard, etc…) had been available the entire season and the team was on the cusp of finishing 8-4, then that would be a disappointment. As it is, given all of the injuries, they’ve kind of over performed.

Extra Medium
          Ute Fan
          @runningreddude

I’m excited the watch the scout team beat up on Colorado tomorrow!

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

I wish more people understood this, Miami.

1 2

Utegator
          Ute Fan
          @utegator

Yes, considering the injuries. BUT also this season has been a disaster from the PR perspective. Cam, Kuthie will be back for game one, best O line he’s had. Idk if he’s just playing games or actually didn’t have a handle on his team. Id like to hope its the former.

2 1

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

PR perspective? Wow, we are digging deep here.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

It has been a strange year. Some fans get upset with uncertainty, if there is an optimistic goal but are not updated with changes more upset can occur. All this against a backdrop of HIPAA compliance. I always wondered about verbal approval as a defense if there is a complaint. I get that Whitt may not want to provide heads up on key positions and availability, he knows first hand this value in game plan prep. I wonder if we have a new wrinkle related to NIL. Possibly in the past key personnel would have come back mid year and completed a partial year. NIL could influence this decision resulting in pushing returns to the next year simply due to money. This easily could be the case with uncertainty around the NFL. I can’t expect college guys to ignore the impact of NIL money or resist maximizing it, not at all. A return for a couple of games has to be weighed against an entire whole year.

I think Whitt and our coaches will have less to say in the future and will avoid the mistake of projecting return from injury. I expect him to say only he is hopeful but he only deals with the players he has that have returned to practice. We should get used to less information about key injuries and return to action.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

While in some rankings, to date, playing the toughest SOS in college football. If Utah can get a win against CU and a bowl game victory, all things considered it’s been a solid season. Barnes has done everything and more asked of him for his skill set. Kids been a warrior. I lost track of whether he was 3rd or 4th in line at the start of the season. IMO, coaching to an extent failed Barnes in the UW game 2nd half. As twisted as it may sound, I am looking forward to see what Bottari can do managing the game.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Wow, 2023 has been a crazy season