Sure it's premature, early, yada yada

Viewing 10 reply threads

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

but…. I finally got around to watching Troy Williams’ tape and I’m impressed with what I see. Sure it is a JUCO level of competition he is playing, and I’m not paid to be a scout… but my personal eye ball test gives me optimism for better quarterback play this next year.

What do you guys think?

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

I haven’t seen anything but from what I’ve read, he seems to be a getting some high praise by other Ute fans. I remember this Auburn kid who was also a JUCO player, what was his name again? If Utah could be so lucky.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I remember hearing great stories about every QB recruit for the last decade and how every one of them will be the next Alex Smith. Just once I’d like these stories to come true.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

At least he has a normal throwing motion.

That’s a start.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Gotta start somewhere. The beginning is a good idea.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Remember Terrence Cain? That guy broke all of the records Cam Newton set at the same JUCO school.

I don’t believe Utah has anyone on the staff that can develop QB’s….When I see it done I will believe it.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

I didn’t know that about Terrance Cain. I actually never saw him play. I was out on a mission from 2009-2011 so I saw nothing in those years. Sidenote: I did have an amazing send off as my last game I saw was the Sugar Bowl and my first game back was the 54-10 trouncing of the Zoobs.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I remember Cain. I don’t remember much about our team when he played.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Saw Terrance Cain play in the 2010 Vegas Bowl. I think he was filling in for Injured Jordan Wynn. It was not pretty. 10-24 for 93 yards. 0 TD and 0 INT. Stats were used to seeing out of Travis Wilson. The difference, those type of stats made Wilson a 4 year starter.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

The real difference. Travis has had to play against PAC-12 competition. Terrence Cain got benched against the bottom of the MWC…

hayes6
        Ute Fan
        @hayes6

Actually, Travis averaged 18-28 193 yards, slightly more than one touchdown, slightly less than one interception per game. And he had six rushing touchdowns.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is true that Wilson’s results were against PAC 12 competition. Still, the results were such that they did not warrant a 4 year run as the starter. The coaching knew and said there were issues at the QB position in the opening episode of The Drive. That issue has been front and center all 4 years. Case in point, John Hays was benched for one bad interception thrown in a tight game against USC, Travis Wilson threw 3 INTs against USC that lead to 21 points and knocked Utah out of the CFP discussion. Yet here we are, two more bad performances and losses later and Wilson is still the the starter.

As I’ve said, the biggest failure by this coaching staff has been their inability for recruit a QB who could supplant Wilson. Just look at Oregon. They brought in FCS transfer Vernon Adams. He beat out 4 star Jeff Lockie who had already been in the Oregon system a couple years. The coaches obviously knew that Lockie could not cut it, so they brought in Adams. Once Adams was healthy, he lit it up. Point being, you should know rather quuickly whether a QB has what it takes. Most of us knew after Wilson’s first season, he didn’t have what it takes to play QB in the PAC 12. His stats all four years were at the bottom of the Conference. Yet 4 years later we’re looking at the same results, while the rest of the team has elevated.

Some will say the coaches failed the develop Wilson and I will be the first to agree that Utah needs a QB whisperer type coach. But honestly, Wilson’s ceiling was low and there was not much you could do to coach him up other than focus on ball control, which they did

Bottom line, he Wilson era is almost over. I see that Oregon is looking at an FCS transfer QB, Prukop from Montana St. He has some very good stats. Oregon also has redshirt freshman Travis Jonsen (Waller), a 4 star dual threat QB from my Servite HS in Anaheim. He should be their next starter. Adams was brought in to bridge that gap.

MTM
      Ute Fan
      @mtm

This coaching staff has not been able to coach a QB.
      We’ve had talented enough kids, Travis Wilson included.
      I would bet my house that Alex Smith, coached by this offensive staff, would be selling insurance or writing mortgage loans today.
      Terrance Cain was hosed. He was 7-1 as a starter. Only loss was by 7 @ Autzen. Statistically, he was equal to Brian Johnson. Benched at halftime for a Freshman Jordan Wynn.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Sure it's premature, early, yada yada