Utah sports radio is definitely not for Ute fans…

Viewing 18 reply threads

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

DJ and PK are talking to Stewart Mandel from Fox Sports and I didn’t hear a mention of the 17/18 ranked Utes? They did cover Texas, Notre Dame and of course ‘AMERICA’s TEAM’ from Provo but nothing on Utah?

It’s so frustrating that the Utes don’t have at least one ‘homer’ in the SLC media. I’m just asking for one, Gunthier is too annoying for me and he’s not a ‘homer’. I guess it’s better that way?

Any thoughts Ute fans?

javadave
      Ute Fan
      @javadave

Just wait until TDS gets into the “meat” of their schedule. 1280 the zoob will have to talk about the Utes just to maintain listener interest.

THEeyepatch
        Ute Fan
        @theeyepatch1

Javadave, I can’t wait!

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I like the guys at 3pm on 700. They keep it mostly Utes.

Umanami
        Ute Fan
        @umanami

“mostly Utes”. So they spend some time on TDS. I dont understand why the flagship station of the Utes needs to spend any time on TDS when they are not even on our schedule. I get media pandering to the masses, but the masses should be Ute fans on that station.

FormerUteSax
          Ute Fan
          @formerutesax

They barely touch on tds. They do cover quite a bit of RSL though. Probably because the owner of RSL owns the station.

Utah man forever
          Ute Fan
          @uman

The masses in Salt Lake are UTES!

bigmanUTE
      Ute Fan
      @bigmanute

stay away from gordon monson… thats my only rule when listening to local radio

Milton Vanderslice
        Ute Fan
        @miltonvanderslice

He was very close to saying “XXX is the best football team in the state right now”. I could feel him wanting to say it but he held back for some reason.

bighand
        Ute Fan
        @bighand

Yeah, Monson calling Chris Hill a liar was the last straw for me…I won’t listen to his show or click on any of his columns again.

TorontoUte
          Ute Fan
          @torontoute

I put gordon and pk on my do not listen/read list… they’re just trolls

Crimsonute
          Ute Fan
          @crimsonute

Monson’s swim “scandal” thing made me stop listening to him, when he said Chris Hill’s “head should roll.” Then Jake Scott commented how “Ute Fans are trolling our twitter.” I turned 1280 off. That was 2013. So when Ute fans complain about 1280 the Zoob, I shake my head, and hope they join the Boycott.

TorontoUte
      Ute Fan
      @torontoute

The only 1280 show that i listen to is hans and scotty, i like hans

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

Hans admitted to rampant nut punching under the pile when he played. He seemed to be bragging about it.

TorontoUte
          Ute Fan
          @torontoute

at least he was honest haha, I mostly like his analysis, he does a good job at breaking down the schemes explaining stuff

NorthEZUte
        Ute Fan
        @northezute

Hans has his moments, but he is the only one worth listening to on 1280 for realistic Utah football talk.

UTE Stuck in VA
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinva

I listen to local sports radio for pre- and post-game shows, but that’s it. I can’t stand anything else they put out.

Jeromy in SLC
      Ute Fan
      @jeromyinslc

Last week, I was Cb and 1280 free. May have been the best use of my sanity. I think I need to try ignore them more often.

Honestly, a better Ute forum will be helpful for my college sports fix. I quit posting on Ufn about four years ago. I was on UB5, but had Tapatalk issues when I got my new phone where topics wouldn’t load. Since then, I have been exclusively Utezone. I like the site and subscribe, but it isn’t as active with the casual fans.

Best of luck in this new endeavour!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Jeromy in SLC.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

I only listen to Bill and OC on ESPN 700 and most days I’ll listen to Hans and Scotty G on 1280 at noon. Sometimes I’ll flip over to Gunther on my drive home from work if I’m still on the road when he does his Football at 50 segment since Bill does RSL stuff at 5:45. Gunther really annoys me though. It seems like most of his show is him getting all defensive about people sending in mean tweets.

High Uintas
      Ute Fan
      @highuintas

1280 and 1320 talk is primarily about BYU. When they do move the topic to Utah, it almost immediately swings back to a BYU comparison like this, “Utah needs to look downfield more on passes to open things up. BYU has had success…”

Yesterday, my morning commute was entirely BYU talk. Just as I pulled into my parking lot, they switched to Utah and by the time I walked in my door, turned my computer on and brought up the 1280 stream, they finished and were moving on the Utah State’s 30 seconds.

Deflate this
      @airboren

Okay. Time to get this rant off my chest. Is anyone else concerned that even on the Utah station (700), there’s way too much love for RSL, and way too much air time given to BYU? I seem to hear as much RSL talk as I do Utes, except on game day. And Bill seems to not want to offend the brethren down south, so he seems to give them more props than they deserve. It was never more evident when they hired Hans a couple of years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I like listening to the guy, but not on the Utah station. And certainly not as the sideline reporter for a football game. Call me old school, but I want Marcroft back.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Deflate this.

High Uintas
        Ute Fan
        @highuintas

I agree, 700 caters too much to BYU but at least Utah gets the majority of the talk. Personally, I think 700 should never talk BYU but I suspect the station managers dictate that they do for ratings sake.

Astute Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tstruct

Bill and OC until they get off topic. Monson sucks balls, and should be accountable for his words. I personally think Hans and 1280 helped feed the Kalani leaving hype train and forced him to leave by speculation. Don’t even get me started about Spencer Checkett’s.

AltaUte
        @altaute

The local media is very bad. The best individual personalities for me are:

Ben Anderson (I think he’s usually on point regardless of the topic)
        Bill & OC (I wish they would talk less RSL and not get off topic so much)
        Hans Olsen (TDS guy, but when he talks Utah I think he does a good job)
        Spencer Checkets (Unfortunately he’s paired with Monson so I never listen to him anymore)
        Kyle Gunther (Can be pretty obnoxious, but can be funny too)

Unfortunately I feel like there’s not a single good personality on in the mornings. I don’t like Monty, but I end up listening to his show because I refuse to listen to DJ & PK.

Danimandias
          Ute Fan
          @danimandias

A list for “best individual personalities” that has Spence Checketts is on it needs to be shorter list.

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

I only listen to Bill & OC locally. What do you guys think of TK? He seems pretty neutral as far as U vs tds, but from what little I’ve hear still too much tds.

Hockeybeard
      Ute Fan
      @hockeybeard

Contrary to what others in this post have said – I actually really like listening to Gunther. Gunther&Ben is probably the best show on the radio right now, since their entire show is dedicated to football. I listen during my commute home, and I’ve really enjoyed the times where Gunther goes off on Y fans for them having their feelings hurt when he says that Utah is the better team right now. If you happened to catch his rant last week, he absolutely destroyed the argument that Utah and BYU are even comparable right now. Good stuff.

After them, I like Hans and Scotty – but up until Saturday’s loss for BYU they were unbearable. They really do stoke the fires and get the hype train going full steam. Bill and OC are ok, but I don’t like the non-topic stuff, and REALLY can’t stand Soccer talk (I know, its not you – its me).

Douglas
      Ute Fan
      @sonofaute

Sports radio in Salt Lake glosses over the Utes and promotes the relevance of tds. The topic could begin as Utah, Pac-12, even NCAA coverage and 1280 will turn it into a tds discussion. Even a guest on to talk about the Utes and Hans Olsen, Monson and PK make it about tds. I can listen about 5 minutes before I switch to NPR. Our flagship station splits time with MLS and buys daytime programing. Pre and post-game are the only exclusive Ute programs.

juan know well
      Ute Fan
      @juanknowwell

Oh man, I love Gunther. He makes me laugh out loud more than anyone on the radio.

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

I was listening once with my kids in the car, and KG went off on a rant, calling Ben a booger-face and all. My kids cracked up for about 15 minutes after that.

Good quality FAMILY entertainment…mostly.

jp31
      Ute Fan
      @jp31

I listen to Gunther’s show on podcast almost every evening, you can get through the show in half the time without commercials. Just a friendly tip!

NorthEZUte
        Ute Fan
        @northezute

Yep, best way to do it!

THEeyepatch
        Ute Fan
        @theeyepatch1

I don’t really like Gunthier but thanks anyway. I’ll just stick to the Block U and Pac-12 Networks Podcasts and if Utah can get a ‘Utah guy’ on one of its radio shows, I’ll definitely tune in. But then again… they’ll have to pair him up with a TDS guy to “balance” it out haha.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

Most guys are okay to listen to outside of Gordon Monson (the absolute worst) and PK (AZ St. is mentioned on average 3 times per sentence). Gunther and OC are the funniest guys to listen to for sure.

Samak
      Ute Fan
      @samak

The local sports media is awful with an exception of a few guys like Tony Jones, Luhm, Piper and Goon.

Gordon Monson is the biggest clown of them all but one guy who gives him a run for his money who doesn’t get brought up much is Jody Genessy at the Des News. The dude’s a complete clown and trolls Utah fans like crazy via Twitter. When he gets called out for his biases, he’ll post that his degree is from Utah …. like that really means anything.

Crimsonute
      Ute Fan
      @crimsonute

One of the best stories I ever heard was when someone said they were listening to Jan Jorgensen on the radio, and their child was laughing. Asked why they were laughing, and they said Patrick sounded funny on the radio.
      Patrick

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah sports radio is definitely not for Ute fans…