3 6

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

Utah fumbled this one so hard imo.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Wow, Myles got upgraded to 5*?!! I agree, given we had a silent commitment from the kid, not getting him to go public sounds like a blunder to me. This would’ve been Utah’s first legitimate 5* recruit…uggggh!

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

Someone please explain the situation.

Rick Walker
          Ute Fan
          @big2890

He was “committed” to the Utes but hadn’t made it official on twitter by announcing it. He was a “silent commitment” as they keep saying. I guess he was holding off his commitment until after some official visits but decided after his Ole Miss visit he wanted to commit there

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

How did we lose him? I don’t understand how it’s possible to lose a recruit who grew up a die hard Utah fan. Did Ole mis throw a ridiculous bag at him?

Rick Walker
        Ute Fan
        @big2890

$100,000 year 1 and $700,000 every year after that if he’s a starter

Utehomer42
      Ute Fan
      @24cdalby

I saw him last Saturday at the Utah High School State Championship. He won the boys 100m with an insane time of 10.36 seconds.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Yawn… he’ll be there one season, get little to no action and enter the portal at the end of the year. As I’ve said in other postings, it’s hard for me to get excited about anyone that hasn’t played a down of college football.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

5 stars usually play.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

The list of 5 stars that were busts at the college level is pretty extensive. There really is no guarantee of success. The other thing is that let’s say that he went to Utah and set the world on fire in his freshman season. Do you really think that Utah would be able to retain him when a B1G or SEC power came calling?

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Maybe or maybe not. But you always have a better shot at retaining kids if they’re local.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

You’d like to think so. However, I believe, the money would have to be pretty equal to retain even a local kid. I mean, if Utah offers you $250K but say, USC or Oregon, offers you $500K, I don’t know of anyone who would stay at Utah.

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Kids like Britain Covey and Lander Barton wouldn’t have left Utah for a big payday. I’m not saying this Myles kid is the same. But there’s typically a stronger tie to SLC for the local kids.

EastCoastUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @eastcoastute

difference is Brit & Landar has been in the program for numerous years. from my knowledge, myles doesn’t have any family ties to the program…he just really likes utah. plus, when you’re that young and you have the option to choose that much money + SEC over a program you grew up loving…at the end money pays the bills and i respect his decision, even though I don’t like it.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

But if he sucks, can Ole Miss just walk back it’s $700k for year two?

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

If he sucks he won’t start. If he doesn’t start, no $700k

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Here is an interesting take:

Let’s say you are a coach of Ole Miss. This kid plays his FR year, gets his $100,000. Come time for sophomore year, he is due $700,000 if he starts. Sure, he is good enough to start, but you have a couple other WR’s who aren’t as good, but almost as good.

Do you start them over this kid so he doesn’t get the $700,000 and you can throw that money at a transfer or some other HS kid? I mean, for $100,000 you got a 5 star HS WR. Why not take that $700,000 and throw it at 3-7 kids to get them to come to your school.

This money has made things very interesting.

Utegator
              Ute Fan
              @utegator

I feel like thats the point of paying 100k first year because most of them, especially in the SEC, wont end up starting. They have so many 5 stars on their roster, the competition is fierce.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Yes, you bench him. It will be money ball

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

How does this scenario work, since the coaches are supposed to be completely divorced from the NIL money? It’s not the coaches, or the school’s money, so why would the coach give a fig whether or not he should be started for financial reasons?

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

Because there’s only so much money to go around. You can still play him, but not start him. And then you can go to your boosters and say, “Hey, we need this kid the portal. I saved you $700k. Make it happen.”

Rick Walker
          Ute Fan
          @big2890

I think what his “deal” is, is just a handshake agreement and you could see anything get taken away at anytime. Obviously I don’t know exact details but just reading about how Jaden Rashada’s NIL deal went down I have to think other players are seeing similar things happen on a much smaller scale.

1 1

Utah#1
      Ute Fan
      @utebig12nattychamps

why do we care if he’s committed to Ole Miss. He could de-commit and go elsewhere or to Utah, but why care if hes a 5-star if he ain’t coming to Utah. Let’s focus on others who we can get close to that star rating.

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

If Wilson turns out to be the baller we think he will be I think we can get a 5* WR to come here.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

5-star per 247 only….He has a .9165 Composite rating, which is just north of the 4-star threshold.

Overall, he’s a 4-star.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

There’s next year’s Portal, when he realizes he should have chosen Utah!

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

He most likely would not play this year for the Utes because our receivers are older and experienced which coaches prefer. Let him develop a year at Ole Miss with Dart at QB then when Dart leaves next year bring him back to play with Wilson. Ole Miss will change their NIL deal if he isn’t a contributor right away. Recruiting high school players at this point in NIL doesn’t mean as much as it used to.” Show me the money “ rules.

Rick Walker
        Ute Fan
        @big2890

He’s about to finish his junior year of high school so he’s not a factor for any college team this year. But I do believe he could contribute right away at Utah next year considering it will be a rebuild year and we’ll lose guys like singer, parks, Pittman, kuithe, etc.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Ute Fan
          @jvhoofs

Great post. Didn’t know he was only a junior. A lot can change in a day let alone a year. Dart will be gone at Ole Miss and Wilson in at Utah will give him something more to think about.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

It ain’t over until the fat-lady sings.

Utah will still recruit him. Hopefully, Isaac Wilson tries to get him to change his mind.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

I wouldn’t count us out yet. He took his first official visit in April. It was to Ole Miss and he committed there within a few days of that.

But he still has scheduled OVs to Cal, Utah, and Arkansas (and just picked up an offer from Michigan as well).

Ole Miss is clearly the favorite…but I’d guess that it’s not in stone

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Where do these exact dollar figures come from for this kid in terms of NIL? How do we know what he was offered?

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Let’s see how he does with an unproven QB at the help for CC.

Rick Walker
        Ute Fan
        @big2890

I wouldn’t call Corner Canyon’s QB unproven. 4 star recruit who led Timpview to a 5A championship as a sophomore. Jerome should look pretty good catching passes from that dude as well as 4/5 offensive lineman returning from last year. I’m particularly excited to watch the game against IMG academy in week two and see how the whole team does.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Jerome Myles