1280 the Zone and Reporting Bias

Viewing 8 reply threads

Bostonutes
      Ute Fan
      @bostonutes

In this wildest of summers, I hope you are staying safe (whatever that means to you).

As well as being a Ute fan, I am a Jazz fan (of the product), who finds it difficult to listen to the coverage.  So,  I am tring to listen to 1280 the zone to get Jazz information in the morning with this weird playing in the bubble thing.  Sorry, but i find Locke’s (sp) comments interesting.  Today was the last straw. 

I have been listening for a couple of weeks and the morning show hosts (who shall not be named) use a vague or overt reference to Ryan Lacy and Morgan, every morning to disparage the Utes.  I mean every morning.  Then this morning, after a Jazz player tweeted out support for anti-semetic comments by Nick Cannon, and of course no comment by the hosts.  Yet, Ryan sends out another tweet about Morgan, and it gets an entire segment.  Ryan can text whatever he wants in a safe environment, but that does not make it news.  I guess I must be insane, (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results), listening to a radio station that manages the news/coverage and stories to make their product look good, and competitors in the valley look bad.  Never again.  Oh, and please don’t get me started on the press releases from the Jazz disguised as “columns”, by Gordon Monson.  Back to getting ready for work, and getting my sourdough bread for the day ready to proof before I leave.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I don’t listen to any sports talk radio. The talking heads drive me insane. 

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

If it isn’t all the Ryan Lacey coverage, it is the newly Woke Utah Jazz or their ramblings about whether or not the zoobs will have a season or not.  1280 the Zone’s morning show is unbearable and their afternoon drive time with Monson and Kermit the Frog is even worse.  Hans and Scotty are the only decent show they have now.  I mostly work from home now so I don’t tune them in very often but if I do, I usually switch over to SeriusXM pretty quicly.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

I am outside the bubble where literally nobody cares about the zoobs. What is the general consensus out there about their season going forward? I am kind of surprised the MW hasn’t gone conference only and left them completely in the lurch. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I also live outside the bubble but from what I can gather BYU is holding out to see what the ACC, BIG 12 and SEC do. They’re hoping they don’t cancel non conference games so they can schedule with some schools that lost BIG 10 AND PAC 12 games.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I thought local sports radio couldn’t possibly get any worse.  And then covid happened.

I frequently listen to sports talk radio in other markets and have been pleasantly surprised at how creative some have been in generating intersting sports discussion when actual games aren’t going on.  There has been some brilliant stuff done in sports radio and podcasts too (I think I can include Bill Riley in this category). 

Meanwhile, we get Spence Checketts (who I generally enjoy) reciting his daily twitter feed and sumarizing the political discussion taking place on his personal facebook page.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

You need to head over to the Provo State board.  You can join in with the other victims of bias local sports media. They are in the entertainment business and controversy sells especially when there is no sports to talk about. They don’t need integrity because they are not a news outlet.  Lacey = ratings, they will milk that as long as they can. A twitter outburst weeks after the fact?  But it worked…

When they bag on Utah they keep the Utah apoligist listeners and all the Provo State listeners.  When they bag on Provo State they retain all Provo State listeners [all victims they are] and anti Provo State Utes.  If they bag on the Jazz everyone goes.  

Just listen to Locke’s podcast. 

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Don’t listen to them much anymore ; although I liked listening to Hans input and film break down ; think he does a good job there . To be honest , if sports keeps being a political stage ; the way it has been , I’ll stop watching .. Haven’t watched the NFL in a few years ; it’s been nice . Basketball may follow .. college football for me would be the hardest to give up tho ; still seems to have the purest form of competitiveness and entertainment without the BS

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I hate these posts. You’ll see folks on CougarBoard complaining about the same thing from a different perspective. Don’t you all realize that 1280 the Zone and any other number of local radio and TV and news are in the business of attracting as many eyeballs (or ears) as possible? It is in their best interest to say good things about the Utes, say good things about BYU. Also it is healthy to criticize both too. Don’t read too much into perceived bias, because that is just what it is, perceived on your part.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Except, in this case, it sounds like the radio “Home of the Jazz” are deliberately protecting their team over an issue that is very similar to an issue at the U of U.

I normally roll my eyes at claims of bias against Utah or BYU, but this case is pretty clear bias to protect the Jazz. The funny thing is, 1280 was originally started because Gordon Monson and the other show hosts were sick of being censored by 1320 KFAN when it came to talking about the Jazz. Fast forward and LHM Corp. bought 1280 and the people who didn’t want to be censored by LHM are once again being censored on the Jazz.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Chef’s kiss, dude. This is exactly right. 

10 7

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

NBA supports communism. Specifically the actions of BLM and the horrible human Right violations by China. 

American education system never taught communism correctly in schools. Continue to let BLM get its way and it will murder millions. 

6 9

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Hahahahahahaha you’re hilarious. 

1. Comparing BLM to concentration camps in China is one of the most hilariously stupid comparison I’ve every seen.

2. Why bring up politics on a post about sports radio, dude? 

11 7

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

1280 is owned by the Jazz who is owned by the NBA. They allow BLM for their little social justic post. BLM are Marxists. If you don’t know this go to their website. BLM support of the oppressor vs oppressed narrative is apparent. 

Nba also doesn’t allow “protests” of the situation in Hong Kong. Think back to when Houston Rockets owner got in trouble. 

6 7

Dwight89
            Ute Fan
            @jordan-buckner

Hahaha you obviously haven’t ever been to BLM’s website. I just read through their whole site and couldn’t find one reference to communism/marxism. Maybe you can point me in the right direction? 

I’m not going to disagree with you on your comments about the NBA and China. Those are valid points. But you trying to equate BLM to the Chinese Communist Party is just silly. 

1 1

ABC123
              Ute Fan
              @canuhearme

Guess Jessica Doty didn’t get the memo on blm

6 2

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

Right direction ——->   Search: BLM Co-founder claims we are trained marxists

11 3

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Oh I have been there. They have revamped a few times. Their own statements of being Marxist should suffice I think. 

Additionally the BLM logo pretty much identical to CCCP fist. 

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and villages that collectively care for one another.”

Communist countries always enjoy erradicating the family. Despite it being the best indicator of likelihood of success in America they want to eliminate that. 

The attacking of dead people that have monuments to their accomplishments is also not lost on the communist movement. Hell any survivor of Venezuala would tell you that. 

If you can’t see this as a communist movement I don’t know what will convince you. Maybe it is who funds them and works for them.

6 1

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

I almost posted that exact quote but thought I would try to be more direct instead and just go with their own claims of being marxists. 

7 2

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

The money follow their funding. US has been funding the Hong Kong movement as well so what goes around I suppose. 

5 1

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

The NBA doesn’t own the Jazz. 

4 3

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Yeah they do. They could make the Miller group sell it just like that if they wanted. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I can’t find it. Which player re-tweeted it?

Edit: nevermind I found it.

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

I used to listen to their station. Then I got the free trial of Sirius XM. Listen to the PAC 12 channel there. Not going to pay for the subscription but I have to admit not listening to 1280 has made me a happier more positive person. 

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Just stick w/ESPN700, particularly Bill Riley….Absolutely love his program!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc 1280 the Zone and Reporting Bias