3 games in and this is how I see this years team vs last years

Viewing 6 reply threads

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Offense – Not better. We have regressed by not having our speedy receivers.

Defense – Same. We aren’t getting sacks but I feel like our defense is just as stout as last year.

Special Teams – Worse. Saw some definite improvement last week, but it was against Fresno so I am not sold yet.

Coaching – Slightly better. I think Pease instills more discipline to our defense. I like our offensive coaching better, although I think the talent level as gone down a bit.

Fans – drunker. I see this as a positive.

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

That’s how I feel. I was hoping (like always) with a little continuity at OC and a senior QB and stud RB we’d see something more out of the offense this year. I have been disappointed and that’s kinda soured the 3-0 start. Maybe we’ll “open up the playbook” this week. There’s that perpetual hope. We’ve just been holding back not wanting to tip our hand until we see the Ducks or SC, or ASU, or AZ or whoever.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I like Travis’ efficiency this year. We’re not Baylor-efficient (we don’t score 28 points in 5 plays) but I think he’s done a good job of mastering our conservative offense. Also, we don’t have a Dres Anderson but we have a Brittain Covey to make up for it. For these two reasons I’ll say our offense is at least as good as last year.

Agreed on the defense although I’ll trade the sacks for interceptions any day.

Good analysis.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Apparently we have Corey Butler-Byrd as an offensive weapon this week as well. Maybe we can play a bit of the speed game with Eighth Habit, CBB, and Kenric Young catching passes (or at least mix them into a Jet Sweep or two).

GadValleyUte
        Ute Fan
        @maximumkungfu

Eighth Habit took me a minute to get. Have I been living under a rock? I like it as a nickname. Although there is a book called the Eighth Habit, maybe he’s the 9th Habit? Or maybe I’ll just go with what has been established

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Now that you mention it he has been called 9th Habit.

oc_ute
        Ute Fan
        @ocute

it took me a minute but i had to say “who is missing from the list”. wasn’t smart enuf to see the obvious….

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

I see regression in every phase. Offensively, we have to be the easiest team in the country to defend. Defensively, there have been very few 3 and outs, no sacks, and this against 3 poor offensive teams. Our defense was better last year, and got gashed by the ducks. Very concerned about this week. Special teams is about the same as it was from the midpoint on last season. Andy Phillips has been mediocre at best since midway through last year. If he doesn’t squib kicks this week, his kickoffs that land at the 10 will be returned at least once for a TD. I hope the staff are on top of that. On a different note, very happy to see an alternative Utah site show up.

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

I disagree wholeheartedly. I know we like to get caught up about the lack of #DeepThrows but the reality is that our offensive game plan still attacks the safeties and keeps them honest. We run routes to the middle of the field and to the corners enough that safeties have not been able to sneak up and affect our ground attack.

TWilson’s ability to quickly get the ball to the edges acts as a counter to LBs and NB/SSs cutting inside to take away our inside reads, and our OLine has probably been the group with the most to prove going forward. They need to consistently get into and out of their combo blocks to disrupt the 2nd level to allow Booker to get hit 3 yards AFTER the LOS and not AT the LOS.

Our defense is statistically BETTER than last year. Minus the bone-headedness of the 4th quarter against Fresno St. where the team had already boarded the plane (seriously, no other explanation outside of kryptonite) and we are leading the nation in take-aways and in the top 10 of points allowed. Our run defense is BETTER than last year. Oregon RUNS THE BALL. I’m excited to see what this Old School Pease vanilla defense can do against an Oregon team that relies upon exploiting teams’ aggressive tendencies.

Oh – and 2 kicks returned for TDs from 2 different players – our effective kick return game has seemingly doubled.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Offense: Play calling has been improved a lot. Lack of a deep threat has been exchanged with guys who catch the ball with easier routes. Oline is still in wait and see mode and will be put to a huge test against Oregon. Wilson is confident, poised and making great decisions. Using Booker the way they have has been genius IMO. I say the offense has improved from last season. Dave Christensen was a massive mistake last season and I think prevented Utah from competing for the Championship. I think with the offense as it stands right now it would have won Wazzu and ASU games from last season.

Defense: Interceptions>>>>>Sacks. QB pressures have been there. Michigan got rid of that ball quick and many of the in completions were caused by that pressure up front. Marcus-Williams has made some costly mistakes, I believe he was a huge reason why Utah St scored. I would sooner have more discipline up front stopping the run with Pease than sacks. Utes defense hasn’t really played a great offense yet. Aggies I think overall were the best but Utah still dominated. The thing that is great is adjustments get made and the players are executing.

Special Teams:Overall the most disappointing considering what we experienced from last season. When Utah needed points against Fresno St though they did it back to back(In spite of Kendall Thompson making a game of it). The kickoff return was great blocking but the run was amazing in keeping his feet underneath him. Covey? Kid is phenomenal I actually was hoping he would start playing QB against Fresno, clearly they don’t want to “harm” Hansen. SEMI-Automatic Andy is his new name, he seems to have the yips. I have no clue what they have done with Hackett, he was robbed in the Michigan game by a line judge. Overall though he hasn’t been terrible just kind of ho-hum.

Utah is 3-0 considering the competition it is what I expected. I never thought the Aggie game was going to be a blowout. Utah St clearly didn’t care about their opener, I think for them winning against Utah and BYU is there most important games. They gave it all they had but still came up short. Michigan played max pro all game, and their QB still sucked. Fresno St, Utah gave up a couple of quick scores and succeeded on an onside kick. For that Utah scores a final TD to cover the spread and sort of flip off Schramm. You have to give Utah a B+ on the season Compared to last year I think we are in a better position though. The team feels better and I am glad that Wilson is the guy and most sane people see that.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

the thing is our defense wasnt really stout last year. Sacks are drive killers, and they saved us. By most stats, our defense was average. I think we have the talent to be much better on that side this year, it just hasnt come together yet for whatever reason…

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 3 games in and this is how I see this years team vs last years