5* CB AJ Harris has us in his top 13

Viewing 2 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Along with Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia and others. I’m not sure we have much of a shot but it’s awesome to still be in the running.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

With NIL, you’re gonna see the lists of 5* prospects look like this, with few exceptions:

Bama
      Ohio State
      Oregon
      Clemson
      LSU
      Florida
      Michigan
      Georgia
      Miami
      FSU
      Texas
      Oklahoma
      USC.

Am I missing any?

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

I have to agree. How does the U compete with this? It’s better for the players, yes, but it’s only going to further increase the divide between the top & wealthy programs in the country from the rest.

Is there any possible way to level the playing field a little more?

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

I agree the strong programs get even stronger. In the eyes of a prized recruit, programs with successful histories of putting kids in the NFL draft will still be in the mix. These kids still have their eye on the larger prize of the NFL, not just a potential short term NIL compensation boost in college. That’s the angle the Utes need to emphasize IMO.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Even with NIL, I expect there is a point where being the headliner at a good, next tier P5 may be better than being number 8 or 9 at Alabama. The nature of the teams best player is special and even Alabama will have just 1 best player. Even Jimmer showed the value of being the headliner at a very average team starved for a star gets great attention even with a simple uptick. I think the best value will come being the team/s headliner, and for the most part there is just one or two per team.

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

Isn’t that already the list for 5* recruits? I don’t see how NIL, then, changes anything.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Exactly. Those schools already get pretty much whoever they want… this just gives players the chance to capitalize on their popularity.

I think NIL means more for women’s athletics tbh.

UteBacker
            Ute Fan
            @utebacker

It’s not really the 5-stars that I worry about as a Utah fan.  We weren’t going to get them anyway.  It’s that high three-star kid that is trying to decide whether coming to Utah to get a lot of playing time as a starter outweighs being a backup at Oregon with less playing time but with a nice $1,000/month NIL check.  

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

It kinda makes me sad to think that $1000/mo can sway anyone. At my stage of life that seems like such a pittance. But I guess with all these direct stimulus payments, we have anecdotal evidence that it doesn’t take much “free” money to change people’s behavior radically.

CB
        Ute Fan
        @solidhobo

Texas A&M is probably going to be in that mix regularly as well

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

I also forgot Notre Dame.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Auburn won’t let Alabama outspend them. You might as well include the whole SEC besides Vanderbilt

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

I guess we should be glad a few of these teams are in our league and on the west coast.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

This is pretty remarkable to see us on his list. Even if we are the last team in his pecking order, this blows my mind to see Utah up there with all the blue blood schools on a top 30 recruit’s list. To think how far we’ve come from the G5 days. I wish Whitt had 15 more years in him to see where this upward trajectory would have our program a decade from now. Go Utes!!!

https://twitter.com/Aj_harris04/status/1412562311533916160

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 5* CB AJ Harris has us in his top 13