Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Commemorating the Doolittle Raiders 🔥
      https://twitter.com/af_football/status/1692299010932129950?s=46

12 3

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Those jerseys are awesome… But why are we celebrating bombing another country? Would we be upset if their world cup team wore pearl harbor commemoration jerseys?

As long as the jerseys don’t mention the Tokyo bombing specifically, I’m totally fine with it (though they shouldn’t have mentioned it in the promo IMO, why not just mention the doolittle raiders and call it good?).

9 1

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

i was thinking the exact same thing. seems arrogant

3 6

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Japanese people do go to Pearl Harbor. And watch the movie clip. And cheer at the end. Since you didn’t know that, I don’t think you care. My guess is that most Americans don’t.

7 7

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

Why do you find an historical event so disturbing? Our team wore USS Salt Lake City commemorative uniforms, How many Japanese do you think that ship killed and injured in it”s many engagements? Prabably alot more than Dolttle raid did. It was war, and one we did not start. History is history, lighten up snowflake.

5 3

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

We won the war. It was 80-yrs ago. No need to spike the ball now.

2 1

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

How is this spiking the ball? It is commemorating a historic moment in our military history and paying tribute to those involved.

2 3

RedLine
        Ute Fan
        @redline

This is about headlines and attention. Combining war (real lives lost/maimed) with sport (entertainment) is not a classy move. Same with combining elements of religion with sport ex Catholics vs Convicts? Yeah its get headlines and motivates the player but it’s not good for the game or promoting positive interactions with fans.

9 4

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

“Japanese people do go to Pearl Harbor. And watch the movie clip. And cheer at the end.” Doubt it.

Those uniforms are slick, very poor taste to market them this way though.

5 2

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Doubt it all you want. I’ve witnessed it. The Doolittle raids were targeted for factories and were more psychological than anything. Trying to compare it to Pearl Harbor shows a lack of historical understanding. With Doolittle, we were at war. Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack against a country that Japan hadn’t publicly declared war against.

6 1

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

What’s amazing to me are the people confounding the Doolittle Raid with Hiroshima/Nagasaki or the bombing of Tokyo later in the war.

The Doolittle Raid really didn’t do much damage or cause many casualties (in the context of the war) but was a huge piece in showing the Japanese mainland was vulnerable via air attacks, even if Doolittle himself thought the raid was a failure.

Imperial Japan was the asshole, here.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Dan Carlin has a great series called Supernova in the East about this period. Imperial Japan was terrible. I am rethinking my earlier post. My knee-jerk reaction is that the sports/war blending is always in poor taste, but we are talking about a service academy here and the Doolittle Raid was a very important and heroic effort. Too much Oppenheimer on the mind.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

I wasn’t talking about you specifically or even UH.C but twitter and reddit. Posts like, why are we celebrating killing 100,000+ people?? when the raid had like 50 casualties.

Now, if the they trot out Enola Gay, Fat Man, or Little boy uniforms might be a little too much.

2 3

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Yeah people on Twitter clearly can’t figure out the difference between the Doolittle raids and the A bomb. It’s sad how little people know of their own history, good or bad.

2 2

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Exactly. I’m wondering if some people understand what the Air Force is.

1 3

Hahnenwk
        Ute Fan
        @hahnenwk

No one mentioned Hiroshima Nagasaki

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

As he said, he was speaking about people on Twitter and Reddit

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

History of not remembered will be forgotten, forgotten history will be repeated.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Air Force unveils Tokyo bombing unis