@palos-verdes-ute

Pac-12
      Washington vs. Utah
      Time: 5 p.m./FOX (Friday)
      Levi’s Stadium capacity: 67.500
      Announced crowd: 35,134
      Percentage filled: 52
      TV rating: 3.1
      Note: Up 15 percent from last year (Stanford vs. USC/ESPN) but down 21 percent from 2016 (UW vs. Colorado/FOX).

ACC
      Clemson vs. Pittsburgh
      Time: 5 p.m./ABC
      BofA Stadium capacity: 75,412
      Announced crowd: 67,784
      Percentage filled: 89.8
      TV rating: Not available.

Big Ten
      Ohio State vs. Northwestern
      Time: Saturday, 5 p.m./FOX
      Lucas Oil Stadium capacity: 67,000
      Announced crowd: 66,375
      Percentage filled: 99
      TV rating: 5.6
      Note: Down 30 percent from last year (Ohio State-Wisconsin).

Big 12
      Oklahoma vs. Texas
      Time: Saturday 9 a.m./ABC
      AT&T Stadium capacity: 80,000
      Announced crowd: 83,114
      Percentage filled: 104
      TV rating: 6.8
      Comment: Third-highest overnight of the season (any conference).

SEC
      Alabama vs. Georgia
      Time: Saturday 1 p.m./CBS
      Mercedes-Benz Stadium capacity: 71,000
      Announced crowd: 77,141
      Percentage filled: 109
      TV rating: 10.5
      Note: Highest overnight ratings for a non-bowl since 2011 (any game, any conference).

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

This is why the PAC-12 is falling behind. No one cares. 

Mr Chainsaw
        Ute Fan
        @mrchainsaw

Is it though, or is it geography.  How many more people would have gone if it was < 3 hour drive.  I know I would have.

Mr Chainsaw
          Ute Fan
          @mrchainsaw

I guess that doesn’t account for TV rating though

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Geography, name brands and relevance all play in.  Okla-Texas and Alabama-Georgia were easy drives for fans of both sides and being “name brands” for each conference in the race for the 4-team playoff they got a lot of national attention.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Two words: Population density. 

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Definitely need to increase interest in football in general on the west coast. I think Oregon/Washington/Utah has very high interest. But California and Arizona being warm weather states there’s too many other sports and activities to do. Football is competing with the NBA, NFL, beaches, MLB those states. 

That combined with the West Coast having fewer people than the East Coast just makes it tough for the Pac 12 to have the same size of fan base as the SEC/Big 10. 

javadave
        Ute Fan
        @javadave

Or it doesn’t get the hype by ESPN like all of the other P5 conferences do.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Yup, the reality is, the West (both the coast and mountains) are more apathetic to sports than other regions. I attribute it to having a lot more to do. People have more things to fill their time out west than they do in the South.

It doesn’t just matter more out West.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Yeah. We are just better people out here. 🙂

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

This is 100% due to geography. Its doesn’t take any advanced math to figure out why attendance has always been bad at the PAC Championship game. The game is at a venue that isn’t easily accessible. At least with a bowl game you have 3-4 weeks to plan, this game you only have 1-2 weeks (and it isn’t over a holiday). Its not due to any perceived lack of interest though.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

What about the tv rating. With lower attendance, ratings should be higher. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

5:20 Pacific start on a Friday. Horrible spot. 

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

Vegas location in 2 years will improve this, but I don’t think it will rival those other conferences.  The problem is the football culture among the PAC12 schools are not the same as schools in the south (or middle america).

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

I wonder what attendance would be like if they move it to the Raiders stadium in Vegas when it’s done. I’d attend, even if Utah wasn’t in the game.

For that matter, they could move HQ to Vegas and likely save a ton. But, that’s a subject for another time.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Then they’d have to have a representative from the Teamster’s Union and the Gambino Family in the review booth.   Not that the officiating can get any worse.

St George Ute
          Ute Fan
          @stgeorgeute

True. Maybe we move the offices to Anaheim and we get Mickey Mouse and Goofy in the review booth. Oh wait…

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

5 hr drive from Mobile, AL to SEC Championship game for a weekend game. 14 hour drive from Seattle to PAC 12 championship game for a Friday night game. Huge difference in ease of attending game.

I live less than an hour away from Levi’s stadium. It’s got a bad reputation for its poor access so there’s not a lot of people willing to fight the Bay Area traffic to go see a couple of college teams. This is a pro team area. Colleges rarely get mentioned on sports talk in the Bay Area.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Attendance Stats from Championship Game