Both ESPN writers have Utah in the Sun

Viewing 4 reply threads

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

One of them has us against Donko and VA.  Ugh.

Nothing like a sobering reminder of your place in the overall college football world to start a Sunday morning.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25428271/college-football-bowl-projections-week-14

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

I’m pretty p**sed. Not surprised. Just p**sed.

Go Utes, but F&(*K you PAC 12 and your corrupt bowl scheme.

2 1

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I know I’m in the minority on this, but I don’t think there’s much difference between the Sun and the Holiday Bowl.

San Diego is the better tourist destination for sure, but that really doesn’t affect me in a year that I’m not likely to travel to either.

It would be nice to play in the Holiday Bowl for the first time.  But the opponent we’d draw would only be marginally better than our opponent in the Sun Bowl.  In terms of prestige, these two bowls are about the same in my mind.

The big drop off is between the Sun Bowl and the Vegas Bowl.  And that’s an enormous drop off, by the way.

1 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I agree. This angst is nothing more than Utah fans p**sed that BYU fans will make fun of them. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I really don’t care about TDS fans. I don’t read their board unless someone posts their links.  I have some zoob coworkers who I don’t even talk football with. They know not to as well. I just stare at them and walk away. I still live in Utah as well speaking of don’t want to change my name not moving to Battleground anymore. Zoobs have nothing on Utah it took a quarter to beat them. One whole quarter of play to just embarrass them. 

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

I want the Holiday Bowl for travel purposes.  So much easier to fly or drive to San Diego than anywhere in Texas.  I think we would have a ton of fans for the Holiday Bowl and not that many for the Sun.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

I realize the payout doesn’t matter because of the revenue sharing agreement but the TV time matters a lot. So does the quality of opponent. A ranked vs an un-ranked team. And a mid day game during a work day vs A weekend or evening time makes a bit of a difference for exposure.

Also being able to travel better to the Holiday bowl shows future bowls we will travel better.

It’s setup to minimize our exposure and it limits our future attractiveness. So I think it hurts a lot. That being said…yes it’s better than Vegas. And we should have won 1 more game this year so it wasn’t a question. But it’s still a screw job.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

The Sun Bowl may have the advantage on time and TV.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Sun Bowl always played on New Years Eve and aired on CBS?  That’s quite a respectable spot.

I agree that a game against a ranked Iowa is more interesting to me than a game against Virginia or Pitt.  But generally speaking, the Pac-12’s opponent in the Sun Bowl is comparable to the opponent in the Holiday Bowl.  The Sun Bowl’s had teams such as Miami, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech in the last ten years. Those are typically pretty good draws.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

Dec 28 (Friday)
      Valero Alamo Bowl
      9 p.m. ET, ESPN

Dec 31
      San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
      7 p.m. ET, FS1

Dec 31 (Monday)
      Hyundai Sun Bowl
      2 p.m. ET, CBS

I don’t love Friday night games for viewership. But miday on a week day isn’t as good IMHO ever. Half the country still works that day. \_0_/

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Both ESPN writers have Utah in the Sun