Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Caleb Lohner commits to Utah

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Caleb Lohner commits to Utah

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      BD
      Participant

6 foot 7 TE. Jump ball for the TD in the back of the end-zone over much smaller DBs? Block an opponent’s kick to win the game?

Interesting commit for Utah for sure.

Utah
      Participant

Weird. Is this the basketball player?

BD
        Participant

Yes it is.

Ute Dub
          Participant

Maybe we can sign Deivon Smith to play running back.

Kellso
      Participant

How much football can he learn in the time frame he has until the season begins? Not sure about this one.

UtesRule
        Participant

So let me get this straight…you are NOT trusting the Utah coaching staff?

MDUte
          Participant

Love this! How much eligibility does he have left? I don’t think he would help this year. But it sounds like the Dalton Kincaid story (also a basketball background) who once he understood how to play football and TE, could be a big-time impact player.

Kellso
          Participant

Not at all. Just the recipient of the learning.

Utah
        Participant

Does he have a RS?

Then you could RS him in basketball and football this year, have him change his body to a football body, and then play TE in 2026. That gives him the best shot to make the NFL.

MDUte
          Participant

Just checked. Yes, he has a RS year available. He will absolutely RS this year. This is a 2025 move, no question.

utefansince79
      Participant

Manny Hendrix played 4 years for the Running Utes then had a great career with the Cowboys.

HoosierUte
      Participant

Wierd and seemingly obvious question, so if he redshirts this season in FB then he can’t play on the bball team this coming season either. correct?

MDUte
        Participant

I have no idea how that translates, but that would make sense. However, if I were him I’d give 100% focus and effort towards football. He doesn’t have a basketball future. But he’s a great athlete and with Utah’s development and featuring of TEs in our offense, he has an opportunity to create a future for himself in Football, even if just an outside chance at this point.

tgi56slc
        Participant

Ideally, he’d red shirt in football since the Utes are loaded with tight ends in 2024.

But play basketball 🏀 because the Utes are in need of talent right away.

Yergensen
      Participant

For real? Even football coaches out recruit Craig Smith for basketball players.

Charlie
      Participant

As I recall the eligibility rule when Manny Hendrix finished playing BB… One gets 4 years of playing college sports in a single sport but can get a fifth year if in another sport. Manny played 4 years of BB, one of my favorites. Following the BB season he come out to play spring football, intending to play in the fall. A scout from the Cowboys watching Utah’s practice commented that Manny could backpaddle almost as fast as the receivers runs routes. The Cowboys talked him into going straight into the NFL to make the switch to football instead of a year in Utah football. I think he stayed 5 years with them. Utah had the ball out of bounds with 1 second left against the Y, Manny took the pass in the air and shot a corner shot to win the game. That kind of quickness. My guess is Lohner gets 6 years of eligibility with a redshirt with not more than 4 in one sport. Unless rules have changed.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.