Coach Shah

Viewing 10 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

How much does this disaster that coach Shah’s wife is involved in, affect him?  It sounds like they are repossessing her home and that if convicted, she may be doing some major jail time.

I have to think that this is a very difficult time for him.  It would be hard for me to focus on my coaching responsibilities.  I wonder if he is even involved in spring practice right now.  I have always liked Sharrieff and wish him well.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

‘Her’ home?

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I only wrote “her” because that is what the news reported. They said it was her Lehi home. They may have more than one home, I don’t honestly know.

1 3

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

I dunno, maybe its because I’m an natural cynic, but I find it hard to believe a trained attorney wouldn’t at least be suspicious and intervene if she was breaking the law. Pretty hard to keep that on the down down low from your spouse.

But hey stranger things have happened, he didn’t know or she could be innocent. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I’m not in the camp that says all Lawyers behave honorably at all times.,, That being said, I highly doubt that he acts as her attorney and would not be surprised to hear that she had incorporated herself as part of her celebrity status and had her own team of people who advise on the issues in question.

The more worrisome thing to me is that Coach Shah has now been secondarily involved in a couple of high profile issues (things, discretions, whatever the right term is) over the last year. Whether or not he carries fault for his part in the Scalley debacle or whatever happens with his wife, it is attention that I’m sure he would rather avoid.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

It would be very reasonable assume he isn’t involved at all either. Just because someone is in the public eye doesn’t mean we need to assume a bunch of things. Obviously he hasn’t been indicted so that leads to me to believe he is completely oblivious.

I wish him luck and hope he has hired a very qualified attorney. As the feds don’t screw about with things generally.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Speaking as an attorney, it’s not that hard. I looked at some of these allegations. And, facially, her business seemed entirely legitimate. But when you looked under the hood it really wasn’t. So unless Shah was complicit in the scheme (and if he hasn’t been arrested yet he probably wasn’t) Shah probably knew nothing about it.

belli1976
        Ute Fan
        @belli1976

Saying an attorney knows everything about the law is like asking a pediatrician to perform a heart surgery.

1 4

Waybackutefan
          Ute Fan
          @waybackutefan

Well I didn’t really say that did I? I’m not an attorney period but if my wife was committing fraud, I’d probably have some suspicions.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

I wish this didn’t ring true.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I’d have to imagine that “emotionally”, this will impact him a LOT!  But “professionally”, I doubt it.  He may request some time off to address some of his wife’s legal issues, but I don’t think Whittingham/Scalley would mandate that he take a leave of absence.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Anyone kept a job while going through a divorce? I’m guessing a fair number of us.

Lots of people find themselves married to a person they thought was someone else. I knew Sharrief on campus when he was a player and I hope things work out for the best for him and his kids. Let’s leave the gossip for elsewhere.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

And legally speaking, if this is a first offense wouldn’t it be kinda likely that she gets no or minimal jail time?

likely a big fine, restitution, probation and short or no semtamce?

maybe these charges are more serious though…

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

She has been charged by the SDNy in a superseding indictment. Generally that gets filed when the parties can’t reach a plea agreement and the gov wants to ratchet up the pressure. Federal sentencing guidelines depend a lot on the amount of money involved, and it appears there is a heck of a lot. There isn’t a lot of leeway for a judge to reduce a sentence.

She could be facing a significant sentence if guilty. The SDNY doesn’t mess around.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

I saw a (gossip) article on msn.com  / Us Weekly.  It gave the story, but there was no mention of her husband at all.

Entertainment Weekly: longer writeup, but no mention of a husband.

So there’s that.

2 1

tarheelio
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelio

I see lawyer comments, so I will add that as a judge, I have a hard time believing that Coach Shah didn’t know. I saw the clip of her explaining what her firm did, and it was obvious that it was either bogus, or someone else did all the work and she was clueless. Coach Shah lives at that house and drives those cars, any reasonable person would question how she was making so much money. And yes, Shah is viewed differently because he is an attorney, regardless of the fact that he didn’t do criminal work. Just like I felt emboldened to make this judge comment, even though I am not a criminal judge.

mesovanhorny
      Ute Fan
      @mesovanhorny

I hope she likes toilet water lip injections.  That’ll be neat

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

apart from potential criminal liability, Shaw faces significant civil exposure if he and his wife own assets jointly or commingle their money. All of those assets are subject to forfeiture for restitution or to pay a civil judgment 

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.