Colorado

Viewing 6 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I just read an article that discussed the amount of churn and player turnover taking place in Colorado. The numbers are mind blowing and completely unprecedented in college football. Get this, since last August Colorado has had 71 football players enter the transfer portal. In addition, they’re only projected to have 67 scholarship players on the roster this Fall. That sounds like an expansion team and it’s hard to see how the Buffs win more than 3-4 games.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I seem to remember something similar with UCLA when Chip took over. Although they were good last year, it took them a while to get to that point and now they’re going to be super young again.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I’m not sure what is surprising about the roster turnover. Reilly at SC had something like 60 total transfers in/out last year from what many thought was a pretty good roster, albeit poorly coached, when he took over. But it didn’t get the same pub because he’s not as concerned with keeping his face on the sports front page as Sanders.

At the same time, what should Sanders be trying to keep from a team that just went 1-11 and had won more than 5 games once since joining the Pac-12? Gone are the days when a coach would take over a bad team and hope that over 4 recruiting classes he could finally have a competitive roster. With the new rules based on coaching changes, this is his one chance to take a huge swing and set himself up to make some noise in year 2. Reilly did it, Fisch did it at Arizona, Dillingham is trying it at ASU. It just isn’t national news with those coaches

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

$C had 26 transfers, and had a proven P5 QB/WR come in (I guess close to 60 if you count the players leaving and coming? that would put CU over 100+). Deion is taking it to a new level. Seriously doubt he can find the same success as Reilly did his first year but we will see. Shadeur had struggles at JSU last season and now needs to produce at a completely new level of football

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

The other thing that the story pointed out, quoting Rick George (Colorado AD), is that quite a few of those guys that entered the portal were actually guys that Colorado wanted to keep. So, when Sanders went in guns blazing telling players to leave, he actually partly threw the baby out with the bath water. Having numerous solid players depart the program really hurts the team’s depth and adversely affects continuity.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

60 total transfers (in/out) compared to 71 transfers out makes for what? 120-130, maybe more, total transfers on a team that wasn’t remotely close to USC under Helton. I would think that’s quite a difference.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Sanders can recruit and draw athletes in, no doubt. I suppose he can win at the lower level by bringing in some athletes that could play at a higher level. The next challenge is to win at the power level where it will be difficult to have a player advantage. Will he have the patience to try, learn, adjust, improve and grow which all takes time? How long after his son moves on will be be content with college football? For now, he add a unique element of entertainment. To contend for a conference championship he will have to match wits with some very good coaches.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

They have a very difficult schedule this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them win one or two games max. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

They only won 1 game last year (an overtime home win vs Cal)  so 2-3 would double or triple their wins.
      That said, he also got rid of their placekicker who was the one bright spot. Win for Utah to get him!!

Utesby1
      Ute Fan
      @garykennedy

I am not sure how you have determined that Colorado will only have 67 scholarship players this fall. They are still active in the portal. They can seemingly add another 10-15 players before the season begins. I am not saying that their mass exodus experience will work.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.