Costco stories

Viewing 8 reply threads

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Please share your experiences shopping at Costco. Thank you in advance.

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Why Costco?

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I’m aware that people love shopping there. Wondering what all the fuss is.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

I’ll tell you what all the fuss is about.

– 5-gallon buckets of mayonnaise
          – Ocean kayaks
          – Tires
          – Blenders
          – Engagement rings

All under one roof, all in one transaction. I’m telling ya, Costco is the 8th wonder of the world.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

See? People love it.

GameForAnyFuss
              Ute Fan
              @gameforanyfuss

If the sarcasm wasn’t obvious, I hate Costco. The randomness of being able to buy boardshorts and a coffin at the same place just makes me uncomfortable.

Plus, while there are some really good deals there, a lot of their stuff is actually not a good deal, even on a per-unit basis. The psychology of the Costco shopper, though, is “well I’m buying in bulk – I must be getting a good deal due to economy of scale.” But if you look at, say, boneless chicken breasts…the price per pound is actually better at Smith’s, and you don’t have to buy 15 pounds.

User Suspended
            @a2ute

It’s a big family/stockpiling thing…so I’m sure its a big thing in Utah. Went their once, realized you would need three refridgerators to make it work and took a hard pass.

Just not intrested in buying 7lbs bag of frozen french fries. 

dystopiamembrane
              Ute Fan
              @dystopiamembrane

Maybe you just can’t handle the great deals.

1 1

User Suspended
                @a2ute

Look, i get the barrel of mayonnaise is probably a good deal based on volume. I just don’t have 8 rug rats to eat it. Why would I want to put a mini keg of mayonnaise if my refridgerator only to have it rot.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Every other person in the store double parks their oversized shopping cart in the main isle during the busiest hour on Saturday while they chat about who knows what. THE END!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Costco has great deals on things you need alot of, but the people that shop there have gotten pretty nuts. I avoid going there anymore. You seriously get stampeded for a free sample of tasteless fettucine alfredo. 

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Personally, I love it.  

Yes, they sell everything in bulk.  But, if you do it right and intelligently, you get good deals.  Furthermore, by and large the quality you get there is above and beyond what you would typically get anywhere else.  If you do a little reading, you will find that they have stringent requirements from their suppliers.  A simple exampe is their frozen beef patties.  No pink slim added whatsoever.  You cannot find that at most retailers.  

Additionally, if you hate shopping as I do, you can get most everything in one stop.  Groceries, clothing, appliances, wedding gifts, etc…  

Again, the key word is being intelligent about it.  You go on a Saturday and you will hate everything about it.  Go on a Sunday morning or an late evening (around 7:30) and the experience will be much more pleasureable.  Also, if you take the plung, get the executive memebership.  It will pay for itself and likely get you cash back every year.  Currently with my family they are paying me about $200 a year to shop there.  

EutawStreet
      Ute Fan
      @eutawstreet

Why I like Costco:

I purchased my TV at Costco.  A fantastic deal and I did not have to buy 12.  They let me buy just one.

I purchased my laptop there for the lowest price I found anywhere.  I was also able to buy just one.

I purchased a kitchen faucet for an excellent price and I was able to buy just one.

I get low prices on prescriptions.

I have bought my last 3 prescription eyeglasses at Costco.  It’s the best way to go if you don’t have vision insurance, cheaper than online sites.

I don’t buy a lot of food or vegetables because you have to buy in bulk.  Especially vegetables because they will go bad before you can eat them all.

The food sample stations are annoying, people just come in for a free meal.  Covid 19 has shut them down.

A good trick is to research what you are looking for at Costco’s website, then go to the store and just get the items you want.  Don’t look around because everything looks like a good deal and you’ll buy a bunch of stuff you don’t need.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Die hard Costco fan here. Honestly. 

It’s like Christmas on demand for adults!! If you are reasonable and don’t buy everything on impulse, it’s worth it. Definitely go at 7pm on a weeknight, it’s the only time we go.

Pro Tip: If you are unsure of signing up, have a friend split their membership with you (no family relation required) and it will only run you ~$35 for the year. 

We cook a lot, and I eat a lot, so we buy a lot of food and waste very little. Then again, we don’t bug the 8lb jar of mayo and can spot the items that aren’t good deals. Anything Kirkland brand (their house brand) is fantastic.

We typically only buy items where costco is the best price you’ll find. Some of these items might be cheap all the time, while others are only cheap when they go on sale every few months: 

Pyrex containers, organic bananas, organic raspberries, organic spinach, organic salad greens, lunchmeat, wipes, electrolyte water, organic broccoli, beer, peanut butter, granola bars, eggs/egg whites, rotisserie chicken, ground bison, laundry detergent, aluminum foil, coffee, seasonings, maple syrup, kodiak cakes mix, ibuprofen, allergy medication, vitamins, chia seeds, birdseed, gum, trash bags, yogurt, salsa, toothpaste, protein powder, protein shakes, quinoa, cacoa powder, baking sheets, gatorade, almond milk, bread, dog toys. 

**Edit – they also have the best prices you’ll find on gas, we try to only get our gas there

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

That was an enjoyable discussion. Thank you, everyone!

1 1

Cesar Chavez
      Ute Fan
      @le-cockgrande

I freaking love Costco, you can get 2400 TROJAN condoms for the same price as a rotisserie chicken, also they have XX-large sizes available which I can never find at Walmart.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Costco stories