Covey Red Shirt

Viewing 7 reply threads

SUUte
      Ute Fan
      @garrstew

Hasn’t looked the same and granted ACL’s take a long time to get back from. Will he invoke the 4 game red shirt policy and sit out the rest of the season to come back 100% next year? Perhaps OnlyU can answer.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I doubt we would red shirt him. Who would replace him? POST EDITED after reading OnlyU’s post below.

SUUte
        Ute Fan
        @garrstew

What was onlyu’s post below?

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Isn’t it basically a statement that Covey is actually going to redshirt the rest of the season?

AgouraUte
        @agouraute

Someone that is a really good blocker, that appears to be all the receivers are doing this year

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

My understanding is that ACL surgery takes a year to recover from. Covey hasn’t looked like his normal self. I guess we’ll find out Saturday

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

This doesn’t surprise me in the least. I said after the BYU game he didn’t look the same. Not sure he ever will but redshirting is probably the best choice as he still has a ways to go before he is fully 100%.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Covey has not been at practice this week.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

This would be a great decision for Covey. Vickers taking his snaps will be better. Also I wish they would tighten up the WR rotation more. 

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Agree a redshirt could be a good thing. Agree with EagleMountain we do need to tighten up our WR rotations, regardless of whether Covey redshirts.

1 3

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

Nah, redshirting would be a bad idea. It’s not like he’s completely ineffective, just that little spark is gone – maybe for now or maybe for good. Who knows? But as an RM with virtually zero NFL potential, he just needs to get his degree and move on to what will be a successful career no matter what path he chooses. Prolonging his playing career is just putting the rest of his life on hold.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I disagree for a few reasons. We have Vickers who does the same things, just more effectively than Covey ATM. We don’t need both.

He isn’t really putting his life on hold by extending his playing career. He will almost certainly attend graduate school, so he’ll be in school another few years either way.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

He’s not 100% and works really hard just to be ready to get out there each week. Has another soft tissue injury bothering him as well that is minor enough to play through but limits him some. He hasn’t had a chance to work on his body/craft, as he has mentioned, since coming off his mission, jumping right into camp and then losing the knee. This is the right decision for him AND the program. Enis, Nacua, etc. get the chance to step up now. Let’s see how that goes.

Covey has plenty of potential left in him…don’t write him off. He puts on 15-20 lbs in the next year and he’s right up there with those NFL guys like Edelman, Welker, Steve Smith, Cooks, etc. those guys are 5’9-5’10” 175-185 lbs. so why not Covey?

Not saying that happens but there are all kinds of guys that size playing in the NFL…would you put it past him? Give that kid 2 1/2 years to get there and see what happens. No way I put it past him if that’s what he wants because no one works harder. Just my 2 cents.

salty-ute
        Ute Fan
        @salty-ute

Exactly this. If he wanted to give up football and move on with his life then so be it, but he obviously loves it and wants to be a positive member of the team. If he can get back to the quickness he had as a freshman and early last year adding add some strength, there’s absolutely a place for a talent like his. Great time to redshirt and develop himself and heal up.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Is this confirmation he’s going to redshirt? Because I just searched twitter, and the major search engines regular and news searches, and there’s nothing about it. Your post is the absolute only thing I can find about it.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Covey Red Shirt