Current 2020 Defense

Viewing 5 reply threads

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Not as Bleak as many think. 

DE: Max T ( Played a TON last year), Mika Tufua (Stud), Brant Kuithe (Hopefully can get healthy), Miki Suguturaga ( Whit raves about him), Semiski Lauaki ( played a little this year).  Then of course Van filinger, Aliki Vimahi, Tyler Wegis, Xaxvier Carlton, Tan Pututau. 

I think we will be fine. 

DT: Viane Moala – rotated snaps played a lot, H. Putatau- rotated snaps has done so the last 2 years., Pita Tonga (didnt play as much this year, but when he did was a beast, played a TON last year). These three will rotate. 

Others- F. Putautau, Mufi Hunt (MSU transfer), Tenn Pututau.  

I think we will be fine. 

Backers: 

Devin LLyod (HM Pac-12) ready to really break out, Sione Lund ( we will see if he can get himself together has struggled with personal things, we will see) T. Carlson – played a little, Andrew Mataafa ( played a little needs to get bigger). , Christian Folau -BYU walk on former 4 * recruit, G. Falooona, S. Fotu. 

– Whit has said that they will look in the transfer portal, he also has said many times that they are going to try Nephi Sewell @ backer. Wacthcing the Alamo bowl, the kid is too big and moves like a backer not a pac-12 safety. My guess Nephi Sewell bulks up and is moved to backer along with LLyod. Judging just based off of the pac-12 championship and bowl game he is quick, fast and would fit perfectly. 

Assuming that this happens I think we will be fine. We were all freaking out about backer last year, and then LLYOD came in. I think either way Whitt will find someone opposite LLYod. 

CB: 

Clark Phillips ( Think Jaylon, will be a true frosh but is made for this moment), J. Broughton ( played a litte, had a pic, made the 2 deep THIS YEAR as a true freshman), NB – Malone Matale – ( Has played on ST, but has been in the program for two years already was behind Guidry). 

The rest – Bronson Boyd ( was in two deep this year also, LBJ, caine savage, kenzel lawler. 

We will prob add a grad transfer or another recruit. However, unless they are a big time recruit like Phillips I suspect this is our back field. (A little Scary)

Safeties: 

R.J. Hubert ( Will he be healthy ? IDK his injury) (played a lot this year). After Hubert I have no idea. 

My guess Nate Richie two freshman will play the other safety spot. 

Other options: Vonte Davis ( was in two deep, played a little, got burned a lot), Aaron Lowe, (might get moved to Nickel behind matalele), Drew Rawls, K. Santiago (Transfer from Hawaii), Jason Shelly ( Might get the other safety spot especially if Hubert isnt ready to go by game day). Ben Renfro, K. Latu, 

– Will prob look for grad transfer here too. I doubt we recruit another guy here. This position is more concerning than the CB. 

In closing, I trust Whitt and Scally to figure it out. The number one thing Whit has shown is the abiility to develop guys and if needed move them around to there correct positions to maximize there ability. Im sure by BYU time the guys will be ready. 

Will do offense/ST later. 

Go Utes. 

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

I think semisi luiaki is going to be a DT not a DE

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

This is my fan evaluation which hasn’t yet been sought out by the coaching staff, but I keep expecting a phone call any day. So, take it for what it’s worth.

Our freshmen DE will play and be in the two deep, one of them may be starting by end of year. Tafua cannot get to the QB, 3 sacks in two years playing on an all time great D line…I expected Tupai to replace him this year given his talent > Tafua, but there’s something going on there (politics, lack of motor and commitment?). DT, no clue.

LB is interesting, hard to project the other starter. I don’t see what you see in Sewell, he looks like a Nevada transfer to me. He didn’t tackle well and was out of position in the two games he played albeit not an easy situation. You didn’t mention Mique Juarez.

I think LPJ will be in the mix at DB.

Agree with you that Nate Ritchie could be a starter at safety from day one.

crazyute
        Ute Fan
        @crazyute

I agree about Tafua. It might be best for him to bulk up and be a 3tech DT. He doesn’t have good bend or burst.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Havent heard that Juarez will even be on campus.

UtTroutHunter
      Ute Fan
      @uttrouthunter

I think the defense will struggle early in the season next year, but continually improve as the season goes on, and hopefully play to a similar level we are used to seeing by season’s end. But, I don’t see any of the new guys stepping in and playing as good as Anae, Johnson, Blackmon, Fotu, or even Burgess did last year. Yes, there is talent there, but not enough to compensate for years of experience.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Many of the guys have played. Outside of the secondary. I think we will be better than people think.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Current 2020 Defense