Diabate—was the risk to transfer “worth it”?

Viewing 3 reply threads
      1 1

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Florida didn’t play well. Diabate had a good but not Lloyd kind of final year—second most tackles among LBs. If you were Diabate and a potential transfer asked, would you recommend it? Did he say anything after getting signed?

Florida had six draftees this year including a LB with fewer tackles than Diabate.

Personally I think Utah is a great place to play and gets guys in the league. It’s always a risk to transfer but I wonder if the difference is worth the risk vs. staying at a middle tier SEC school. I’m sure there will always be people willing to give it a shot.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/.amp/football/florida-gators-jacob-copeland-mohamoud-diabate-udfa-tennessee-titans-cleveland-browns

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

Diabate did mention one reason for transferring for his last year was to play in a colder climate since half the NFL teams are cold weather teams. So signing with Cleveland was good. I hope he ends up better than being a UDFA, but frankly, seems like if you are going to get drafted in 6/7th round, might be better being a UDFA because you can weigh who is interested in you, depth at your position, coaches and partially choose where you go. Work hard and make the team, and he’ll do ok. Great that he got some gauranteed money too.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Diabate was dinged up early and didn’t get to showcase as much as I’m sure he would have liked. He improved significantly over the course of the year and there’s no guarantee that he would have gotten the exposure he wanted at Florida. Other than that, I’m not sure how we as fans would decide if a player transferring would be worthwhile.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Well I assumed a big part of the reason was new head coach and coaching staff, as the reason he went into the transfer portal.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Diabate—was the risk to transfer “worth it”?