Viewing 6 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Any of you tried it and does it work?

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Not sure what “it” is, but trapping is the only sure-fire way to get rid of moles and gophers.  Where I live we have a pocket gopher issue which I address using these easy-to-use traps…
      Trapline Products

Moles might be harder because their tunnels are more shallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR0sWU1HzTE

gnUTE
      Ute Fan
      @gnute

They are tough to trap because they eat roots and seeds, so they don’t really fall for cheese or peanut butter in a trap. I had some success just leaving traps near openings in their tunnels.

A cat worked wonders.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Gophers are herbivores (roots and bulbs, sometime pull down greens), moles eat insects, grubs and worms.   A tiny dab of peanut butter works great for gopher bait (at least the western pocket gophers), so, yeah, not sure how to bait moles, maybe part of a worm?  Even without bait the movement through the tunnel is what you are using to snag them, especially with the wire traps like those from Trapline.  Place them underground in the tunnel or in the soil near the entrance/exit.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Choot em! 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-SWAMP-PEOPLE-AMMO/1812801.uts

Seriously though, I used to trap gophers as a kid with ones similar to what PlainsUte listed. They weren’t too bad, but moles were much tougher. Never had voles though. 

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Traps are okay, but doesn’t always get them all.  But, what worked best for me – I put gas in one end of their tunnel and more gas on the other end.  I threw a match in and that seemed to take care of them.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I have 2 small dogs that love playing toss the gopher so much they dig into the burroghs and bring them out. I have a fairly large yard and 0 gophers. My neihgbors want to borrow my dogs.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Exhaust fumes.  Get an old lawn mower or hook up HVAC to your current mower. Put the tube on a fresh hole. Make sure all the other holes are plugged. Let the mower run until it runs out of gas. Then make sure both your neighbors do it. It should keep them off for two years. The WHOLE neighborhood needs to do it if you want to get rid of them for longer.  Volenator is what I used to have and it worked great. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc DIY Vole Prevention