First half thoughts

Viewing 2 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Carlson is one of the best shot blockers we’ve ever had, will probably be the best when all is said and done with him. He has a good looking shot too, just needs it to fall.

The extra year of experience is definitely showing. They seem to be sticking with the gameplan offensively, getting the ball into the high post nearly every time down the court. Taking care of the basketball quite well. 

While this team is better than last year, we are unfortunately still basically the same team… just with a higher floor.

Guys are not passing up open shots, which I appreciate, those shots will fall.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We are on a good run right now. Now up by 21.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Being up 21 on Washington brought back flashbacks to last Saturday night.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

This team knows how to close.  OUCH

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Overall game thoughts. It’s amazing what happens when you stick with the offensive gameplan, get the ball to the high post, and don’t commit stupid turnovers. This team showed much more maturity than last year.

Jones no longer looks like a 14 year old. His body has definitely matured. He has crazy range on his shot, hopefully he continues to gain confidence and starts pulling the trigger more often.

Allen has extended his game out to 10-12 feet, which is huge for our offense. still has no outside shot, but he can at least hit an 8 footer off the bounce now, which is a really big deal believe it or not.

Plummer is maybe the most important player on this team. Had 4 steals tonight, still wouldn’t call him a great defender, but he knows when to take risks.

It looks like the plan is to either play Carlson, or go small when possible, which I agree with. Thioune is bigger, but he’s still pretty much useless.

Don’t know what to think of the young guys, Martinez played for a few minutes in garbage time, doesn’t seem real comfortable out there. Larsson is a guy who can play without hurting us much, but I don’t think he’s going to knock anyone’s socks off this year, sort of like Mikki last year.

Finally, I’m not sure why I still watch college basketball. I love the Utes, but man… as boring as college ball can be at times, it’s so much worse without fans. We played great and I was still bored stiff most of the game.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) First half thoughts