Football question

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

For years we dominated special teams in the PAC12. We had the first-team punter, kicker, and a returner. Covey was first-team in 2021, but outside of him – we had totally fallen off the map. We went from two all-american punters and two all-american kickers to some of the worst kickers and punters in the nation.
      We won the last two PAC12 championships in spite of our pathetic special teams (including kick coverage). Just imagine what we could have been if we had the special team players of five years ago.
      So, what happened to our vaunted special teams? Can we get back close to where we once were?

1 1

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

Not sure, but seems like Whitt used to be more hands-on and he’s delegated it more. We had an early jump on some unique pipelines (Aussie, converted other-sport athletes) that other schools are now using too, but definitely don’t seem to be recruiting as well. Not sure how we went to ‘eh, servicable is good enough’. Hopefully the portal is the play now.

For such a time of possession and field position team, seems like the punter (and I guess PK) would be key positions for Whitt to check in on and even get good players over the finish line to sign. Gone are the days of having 2 walk-ons fight it out in fall camp.

As far as coverage, that’s on the coaches. And culture of discipline. Just not sure if Shah has proved himself but Whitt seems loyal to him.

4 1

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I like Shah as our CB coach.  He has done a great job.  However, we have had horrific special teams under him as the coach.  But, as you say – Whitt seems loyal to him.  

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

Agree – good with CBs. Seems almost like, ‘let’s see, who wants to take ST’s?’ afterthought. As noted below, Jay Hill was great. My argument is that the coverage is on the coaches. Kickers, as noted below, have been generally lucky, but glad we got the CU guy transferring in.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

Punters – from what recall we were one of the first to get the Aussie punters. Seems like the blue bloods are going after them now, which dried up our pipeline.

Kickers – sheer luck. A retired slalom skier and low level collegiate soccer player turned into great kickers.

Punt Returner – we are only one year separated from Covey. Vele is a solid returner, but not as electric. Sounds like there may be an electric returner in a true freshman this year. Fingers crossed.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

So much this. 

Jay Hill was our special teams coordinator. We had the first choice of Aussie punters. We lucked into a lot of kickers. 

Jay Hill is not our coordinator anymore. Every blue blood gets the first choice of punters now. We haven’t lucked into another Gay/Phillips off the street. 

UtahPilot47
      Ute Fan
      @utahpilot

Others have made some good points but I feel I need to point this out every time this subject comes up…Utah is one of the only P5 programs that does not have a kicking coach.  Coach Shah is a good guy but he is not a kicking coach.  Whitt has been lucky over the years with kickers falling into his lap.  For a couple of years his luck ran out.  Now the Utes have the #1 kicker in the class of 21 transfer to them.  They should be in good shape the next couple of years. 

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Right, one of the best kickers in the conference, Cole Becker, transferred to Utah!   Thanks, Coach Prime!!

Last year Becker was 11-13 on FG (longest 49 yds), and 20-21 on PAT kicks.

That said it’d be great if Utah had a real kicking expert as coach and worked the kicking camps and (G5 and D-II) transfer portal to recruit kickers rather than getting soccer converts from the general student body.   

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

It has been posted but cannot be over emphsized.  Utah opened the door to pro-kick so the director sent us Hacket and Wishnowski.  After “business” picked up he sent us a dud in Lennon and I think the relationship soured.  I am sure he did “very well” on the Dickson to Texas deal and after the gameday expose’ Utah was moved to the back burner.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Football question