For anyone wondering how Texas A&M pulled in the top class

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

I’m still trying to wrap my head around Arizona being a Top 25 class. Is basketball paying for football in Tucson?

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Yeah… the fact that we don’t out recruit almost all of the pac after consistently being at or near the top almost every year for the past decade is concerning. With our success we should be pulling in a minimum of a half dozen 4* guys every year. 

it’s nice what we are able to do with a bunch of 3 star guys, but we really should be able to do better. It’s strange.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

NIL is out of control and is going to lead to the end of college football IMO.

I am all for kids getting a piece of the pie.  But, giving someone a guarantee of a quarter-million per year before they have enrolled in nonsense.

ALUF
          Ute Fan
          @dbgii77

Hopefully after a second straight league championship we start pulling in more 4/5* guys

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Agreed, we need to see a bump up in recruiting based on our recent success. Got to get our roster to where the floor is high 3* dudes (2nd and 3rd string). And our starters are mostly 4* talent.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

Our bags of cash aren’t going to match anybody’s I’m guessing. This is going to stratify everything worse and worse. I doubt CFB looks anything like what it does now in ten years.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

TBH our only hope for improved recruiting rankings is better/more recognized football players in the state of Utah, which is luckly happening. 

Yes, we get guys into the NFL, but the majority of them do absolutely nothing. Getting them to the NFL says a lot about our ability to train guys up, them not standing out in the NFL says a lot about their lack of elite level athleticism.

Nobody, not even Tucson natives can look me in the eyes on honestly say it’s a better place to live in any way than Salt Lake City. Literally the only thing they have going for them is it’s hot… ALL THE TIME. 

If the only reason recruits are going there is because of NIL money, then our deep pocket guys need to throw less money at facilities and more money directly at the recruits.

I hope that Covey, rather than becoming a UofU coach, becomes a super wealthy CEO of something… because that would honestly be more helpful.

The truth is, if we want to beat teams like Ohio State when they are motivated to win, we absolutely need more 4 and 5 star players. There is no way around it.

If we can’t get better recruits then Rose Bowl runner up in an awful Pac12 is our ceiling.

1 3

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

Remember, the university is in Utah. Most people don’t know where Utah is.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Hi, thumbs downer. What is your guess – ask 100 top high school football players where Utah is, how many get it right?

SteelUte
            Ute Fan
            @steelute

So based on your logic -Dystopia- recruits are making decisions based on their geography proficiency?  So is Arizona much easier to find on a map than Utah? Ohio? Nebraska? You’re saying that a kid from California isn’t going to go to Alabama because he can’t tell the difference on a map between Mississipi and Alabama? “well Mom, my final two schools to decide from are Utah and UCLA, but I don’t know where Utah is so I guess I’ll go to UCLA!”

dystopiamembrane
              Ute Fan
              @dystopiamembrane

Reductio ad absurdum, but yes, that is what I am saying. Most people in our country have been trained to choose familiarity and safety over the unknown or less common. My comment was less about being able to find Utah on a map, but more about the obscurity and peculiarity of the place itself.

JB
        Ute Fan
        @jb15

Arizona can promise a starting spot and not be lying because they don’t have much in talent.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

The reason we don’t pull more 4/5 kids is the coaches do their own evaluation and base recruiting more on potential and what the kid will be 3/4 years from now…. They also don’t pander to the 4/5 recruits. Do they recruit them ? Of course. But, they don’t promise them anything and I doubt roll out bags of cash…

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

Ok but other schools are rolling out bags of cash. So if we are unwilling or unable to pay the premium for a high star recruit, we’re going to start seeing our recruiting fall hard, as “NIL” just becomes a bidding war. I’m fine with student athletes getting compensated but the way it’s being handled does not benefit schools like Utah.

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

We may not get as many 4/5 star rated players as some other teams do, but with so many Utes going onto play Sunday, we seem to be getting our share of athletes who leave as damned good players. 

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

We just need our recruits to understand if they build a DoTerra downline then they will make millions if they come here.  Oh wait that’s another schools strategy.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football For anyone wondering how Texas A&M pulled in the top class