Future Playoff Top 16

Viewing 4 reply threads
      3 1

colbyutahman3
      Ute Fan
      @colbyutahman3

1. Eliminate all bowls top 16 CFP

2. Play 1st round 2nd/3rd week Dec

(Higher seed Hosts first round home game)

3. Top 8 play New Year’s Day 

(Rotating sites of sugar, cotton, peach, rose, fiesta and orange) 

4. Championship 2nd week January

*Most teams in top 16 every year usually have 3 losses or less which would be respectable.

*Top 16 include Conference champions then top teams remaining. Allows teams to fight for conference title plus push for top 16. 

5 1

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

I actually think 8 would do it.  Each of the P5 champs and the best G5 champ.  That leaves 2 spots for highest rated second place finishers.

So this year it would be Alabama, Clemson, ND, OSU, OK, UCF, Washington, Georgia.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

One of those teams doesn’t belong. Especially over a Utah or Michigan or WSU. 

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

I think if the playoff were at 8 teams you’d still see the playoff committee keep a team like UCF on the outside looking in.  

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

My, how soon we forget.  We were once one of those that didn’t belong and all we did was beat P5 teams in bowl games.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

“They didn’t want to be there”

or

“Now we understand how hard it is to stay motivated for lesser opponents” 

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

After this season, how would you expect Utah to show for a Vegas Bowl vs USU? 

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

Well seeing how the coaching staff prepared for TDS in a late season worthless matchup I would be concerned for a loss. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

We didn’t forget. We realized we were wrong. Utah fans, of all people, should know what the week to week grind is and how unfair it is for a G5 to undeservingly steal a spot from a more deserving team. 

Its ok to admit you were wrong. One game does not a season make. 12 does. G5 does not deserve a shot at anything. Especially not over a Michigan or WSU. 

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Pac12 also mismanages their conference schedules more than the MWC. It is asinine because basically a media company is running a football conference. 

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

I want a 16 team playoff buy no autovbids for G5s. If 5 of them deserve it let em in. If none deserve it keep em out.

2 1

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

32 team playoff (D-III structure with auto-bids to the 10 conference champs and one set aside for independents)

BulgieUte
      Ute Fan
      @bulgieute

First step needs to be an official split between P5/G5. Let UCF play for a national title, in the G5 division. The AAC is competitively closer to the SEC then they are the Big Sky but there’s no doubt we’re talking about 3 different levels of football.

P5 Playoffs

1 Alabama vs 4 Oklahoma

2 Clemson vs 3 Notre Dame

G5 Playoffs

1 UCF vs 4 Boise State

2 Fresno vs 3 Army

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

I think I’d be fine with an 8 team playoff. No way all the corporations..er…conferences would give up the extra bowl games now. But you could do a 4-2-1 system without eliminating the toilet bowls.

Conference Champs from P5, Top ranked champion from a G5, 2 at large for highest ranked. I could live with that. It’s the natural evolution and it was what most people were asking for prior to the 4 team east coast beauty pageant we got instead.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Future Playoff Top 16