Green River Fishing

Viewing 4 reply threads

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Some colleagues and I are setting up a trip to the Green River in June to float and fly fish. Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging, guide services, experiences to share, etc. Thanks in advance.  

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Paging @homer

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Lodging options are limited. I usually camp at Dripping Springs. I once stayed at Spring Creek Ranch, just across the border in Wyoming. It was fairly basic but the food was amazing.

For a guided float, look no further than Trout Creek Flies. Their guides really know the river and they take good care of their clients.

I’ve got more experiences on the Green than I’ve got time to tell. Probably my most memorable was hitting the best cicada season in the last 50 years. Probably around 2002? The fishing was beyond ridiculous, throwing those big magnum cicadas all day and getting a hit on pretty much every cast for 8 hours. I’ll never forget that day.

Have fun – I’m super jealous.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Well now you got me way too excited to wait till June!!!

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

I’m assuming you live along the Wasatch front…

You don’t have to wait til June! Do a “recon trip” this weekend. Get up early, drive out there, park at Little Hole and hike upstream about a mile until you get to the little beach with the one-holer toilet. Fish as long as you want. When you get tired, drive home.

If I weren’t trying to milk every last possible day out of ski season, I’d be doing that this weekend myself.

Tight lines!

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

Indeed. Cottonwood Heights. 

BD
        Ute Fan
        @flyfisherman

Probably my most memorable was hitting the best cicada season in the last 50 years. Probably around 2002?

I remember that hatch. Beyond insane. Big, 20+ inch trout after trout coming up to take a giant cicada. I just walked upstream fly fishing lower on the B section and enjoyed a perfect two days of fly fishing.

An amazing stonefly hatch on Diamond Fork in early June of 2004 was the only other day that rivaled it. About the same – giant trout coming up to slam big stoneflies on Diamond Fork. Now that DF has greatly reduced summer flows, and the fire destroyed much of the river, I’ll never experience that again.

I go fly fishing a few times a year now – nowhere near what I used to. While I enjoy it, I have great memories past. I may never experience a day like that on the Green River.

“And I knew just as surely, just as clearly, … that the moment could not last.” -A River Runs Through It

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

I’ve stayed for years in the condo’s at the Flaming  Gorge Lodge, occasionly for the last couple of years I’ve stayed in the small cabins in the old campground by Trout Creek. Both are great, I prefer the dining at the Lodge even if not staying there. The best accomodations by far are the Red Canyon Lodge but you have to book several years in advance to get in. 

I have my own drift boat so the only time I use guides is if I’m floating the B, I just can’t handle the Red Creak rapid anymore while rowing, that being said I don’ float the A either in the summer months because of the tourists and the C is such a great float, kind of a long shuttle though.

I’ve had only one bad experience with guides up there in the past, and old codger named Rodney who started our day by cutting off my butt section and leader and tying on a 15 foot sting of monofiliment without asking if thats okay. he then procceeded to row out never stopping, back rowing or holding the boat in the holes and absolutely refused to let me and my son inlaw use anything but nymphs the whole float. Last I heard Rodney was forced into retirement:) All  the rest of the guides I’ve used over the years have been great, as mentioned above you can’t go wrong with the Trout Creek guides. 

As far as experiences to share, I guess I’d say it depends on you skill level, I prefer to fish with big ugly streamers, hence the emphisis on the B and C sections. If you’re fishing the A in June there will be hatches but dry fly fishing can be challenging until later on when terrestrials are abundent. If you’re lucky you may catch the Cicada’s or Stones in June especially later in the month, these tend to be more prolific on the B and C sections though. Nymphing with long leaders should provide lots of fish and most guides will encourage this approach. 

Beautiful scenery, great friends and big fish are always what make floating the Green, regardless of section, makes life special, enjoy your time there. 

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Stay at the cabins by Trout Creek Flyshop.  Buy your own groceries.  It’s expensive at the gas station / fly shop / diner.  If you use a guide, ask for Darren Bowcutt or Nick.  Darren is a Utah fan and will tell you stories.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Green River Fishing

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by BD.