How to create more parity in CFB

Viewing 2 reply threads

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Recruiting still exists. At some point in the offseason recruits have to select their top ten. They must sign waivers indicating they will play and attend any of those ten schools. 

Do a giant draft. Maybe you split up P5 and G5 into two drafts, maybe not. Teams can only draft players that are in the player’s top ten. You can only draft as many players as you have schollies available. Draft order is determined by your conference standings. Each year draft order rotates (meaning in year one draft order goes Pac 12, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, ACC, then the next year draft order goes ACC, Pac 12, SEc, Big 12, Big 10, etc.). So the first 7 picks in a draft could look like this:

1. Pac 12 – 12th best team

2. SEC – 12th best team

3. Big 12 – 12th best team

4. Big 10 – 12th best team

5. ACC – 12th best team

6. Pac 12 11th best team

7. SEC – 11th best team and so on

Again, you can only draft players that put you in their top 10. Invariably, this creates two issues:

1. Teams that don’t get enough players to put them in their top 10, or who run out of players to choose from mid-draft

2. Players that don’t end up getting drafted or all their top ten teams fill up the schollies before the draft ends

To the first issue: P5 teams in this rut could draft from available G5 draftees (players who only have G5 schools in their top 10) and the player can choose to accept or reject the draft offer. Alternatively, they must wait until the draft ends and recruit from the undrafted pool of players to fill their available scholarships. 

To the second issue: Players can have a backup of five additional teams that kick in when they don’t get drafted by anyone in their top ten. If they don’t get drafted after that, they must go the walk on route, JUCO, or FCS. 

Thoughts? I’m sure this creates a whole other host of issues but I think it would be pretty dang interesting to see how it unfolds.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think the first step is normalizing the schedules. If we can get the schedules more even, then we will see the PAC-12 isn’t as bad as we think and the SEC isn’t as good as we think.

Step 2 – 6-8 team playoff, no G5. Every P5 conference in. Again, you’d see a 10-2 PAC-12 team win it all, perception changes.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

I agree those are the best short term solutions that will be easy for the powers the be to swallow. I can’t wrap my head around why they won’t expand the playoff. It’s asinine. 

My solution is out there for sure. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Let me play devil’s advocate for a sec: Why would you want more parity in college football? We used to be a “have not” and we scrapped and clawed to become a “have”… why would you want to dismantle that system?

Utah earned its position and I don’t want to see that given away. Yeah I’m selfish, but it is what it is.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I agree. Parity is a dangerous thing. I think we should want more parity among P5 teams…but not for college football.

I’m 100% for P5 breaking away from G5. That’s would also solve a lot of problems.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Parity in college means something completely different to some minds. My assumption is they think it means make things equal or fair. Which is very much subjective from a place like Cal Berkeley vs Tuscaloosa Alabama. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How to create more parity in CFB