I question the decision to sit Thomas…

Viewing 4 reply threads
      2 5

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

If it was a precautionary move. If the trainers say he isn’t able to play, I get it and you sit him. But I thought I heard the announcers say if it was Oregon, he is probably out there. And IF that is true, what a terrible message to the team and it almost cost us the game. You can’t take any team for granted in conference and especially on the road. U of A plays hard and is obviously well coached. Their coaches put them in position to win while the best player on our O is out. Again, if it was a no go from the training staff, then this is a moot point. But something tells me KW and company were looking ahead and almost paid the price for it. 

OK, rant over. Glad we escaped with a win!

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

I’m guessing he has an injury that he can play with but has a chance of aggravating further. If it were an injury he could play with but not make any worse, he would have been out there.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree with you 100%.  If he could play – Whitt did send the wrong message IMO.  Maybe he could not go, but if he could he should have at least dressed.

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

I hear you and agree to an extent. If the recommendation from the medical staff was to sit him, then I trust their advice. However, if the decision was based primarily on the opponent (ie. if we are playing Oregon today, he plays) then I hate the decision and it sends a bad message to the team. U of A punched us in the mouth today and a loss today would have been devastating.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I don’t question it. Why would I? I don’t know anything about the injury or how serious it is, and I’m guessing you don’t either.

If it’s the type of thing where he can go but a wrong tackle or a bad cut can make it season-ending, then absolutely sitting him was the right thing to do.

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

Agree with you. If it’s that bad, you sit him. But what if we play Oregon today? Does that change the line of thinking? It shouldn’t!

That is my whole point…if the decision was made because of the opponent, then I disagree with it. If the decision is because we fear a season ending injury, then keep him out regardless of the opponent. And that goes for next week, as well. Don’t play him if he can’t go.

1 1

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I agree with WHITT to sit him. Sounds like he was hampered and they didn’t want to risk further issues before the main games that matter.

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

Today didn’t matter?

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Unless Thomas was going to cover all of those open receivers and stop their rushing attack, him sitting today was irrelevant. Utah didn’t have any issues moving the ball other than penalties.

Rising was just a skosh off for the second game in a row and still threw for 300 yards. There are plenty of weapons on the offense that can and did cover for Thomas being out.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I question the decision to sit Thomas…