If the Utes ever have (or want) to change their name, I want the Red Rocks

Viewing 10 reply threads

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I love that the Gymnastic team uses it, it’s unique, and it’s local to the state. I personally find it far more appealing than Hawks or Red-tailed Hawks (though red-tailed hawks are awesome, we have a ton in the Boise are and they are wonderful).

16 6

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

If they ever have to change their name it will be a damn shame. It will be a giant blow to the Ute tribe and a virtue signal win for white liberal women who love to be offended.

9 3

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Don’t exclude white leftist whiney men from that assessment. 

3 1

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

I mean, I was agreeing with you until you got to “a virtue signal win for white liberal women who love to be offended“.

Edit: Politically charged generalizations undermine the credibility of an opinion.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

And it is now officially the off-season. 

3 2

Tabasco
      Ute Fan
      @tabasco
      4 3

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If we ever have to change it (we won’t anytime soon, the Ute tribe members love the U), I hope we just drop the nickname and go by the name of the university and that’s it. The University of Utah. That’s it.

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

Hoodoos!!

7 3

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Can’t do that. The name would be racist and insensitive to rocks. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

As a point possibly related to this. I will buy gear as long as it is Utah Utes related. If they ever change I can thankfully print something using the wifes cricut stuff. 
      Using the shirt press she got as well I can put anything on any shirt I want. So this issue isn’t that big of a deal for me. 

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Ever since watching the debut of Swoop as he descended from the top of the Hunty at halftime of the Utah-BYU game 27 years ago, I’ve anticipated that a potential name change would be to Hawks, or possibly Red Hawks.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I’ve said this a number of times here… but if you ever really want to know how the Ute tribe feels about their association with the UofU, just take a trip out to. Duchesne county, and drive around the reservation. They display their affiliation with the UofU prominently and proudly pretty much everywhere you look. Is it money/scholarship related or actual fandom? It might be completely related to the benefits they derive from the relationship, but even if it is, the people that run the Ute tribe will do whatever they can to keep those benefits coming. The Northern Ute tribe is all about financial benefit.

Members of the tribe get $80,000 when they turn 18 years old. I’m told that this is from the federal government (don’t know for sure where the money comes from). They are the only tribe in the states that still gets this sort of reparations money (so I’m told). They were promised this money as restitution when the government breached a contract with the tribe a long time ago not to give/sell land to white people. In order to keep the deal in place the tribe has to limit their membership to people with %50+ Ute blood quantum (which basically means that you have to be more than 50% Ute to get the money when you turn 18, and be a full member of the tribe). If they are that strict about their membership in order to keep that money coming in (if they changed the standard the deal would be off), they will surely do whatever they can to derive whatever benefit they can out of their association with the UofU, if not because they like the UofU, then because they want what is best for their people.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Red Rocks, local to the state? Do you get out much?

Homepage – Red Rocks Amphitheatre (redrocksonline.com)

Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center in Colorado Springs (gardenofgods.com)

South Valley Park Trails – Day Hikes Near Denver

While the Ute Nation did winter or frequent many of these locations they are all in Colorado. So… while I love Red Rocks, I disagree that it is local to the state. Maybe the region, but we are not the University of the Intermountain/Eastern Rockies.

DrahtUte
        Ute Fan
        @drahtute

The red rock areas in the Denver area are pitiful compared to southern Utah. That’s like comparing the Great Salt Lake to the Pacific Ocean. It’s not even in the universe of comparability. 

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

What? This is kind of a weird take. Just because something is local, does not mean it is exclusive… There can be ‘local’ red rocks in Colorado and Utah. It is not like the Ute name is exclusively related to Utah…

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I’m not originally from Utah so it’s pretty easy for me to admit that I’ve always associated “Red Rock(s)” with Colorado – thanks U2. And even after spending a bunch of time in Bryce, it took a few years before I finally made the association with the gymnastics team. Put me on the list of those who think mascots are unnecessary, and if you have to explain why something is your mascot, it has even less value.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

I still vote we go with the ‘Yotes (coyotes) if we ever have to change our name. Just so we can keep yelling “Go Yotes” just like we’ve always yelled “Go Utes.”

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If the Utes ever have (or want) to change their name, I want the Red Rocks