If we assume Scalley is gone

Viewing 4 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I was worried about out defense, then I thought, oh Whitt. He could run the D and it would be as good or better. Though that could take focus away from him doing the head coach thing. But I suspect there would be a replacement for Scalley.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

It’ll be Shah. Dude is smart.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Sounds like Shah might have also used a racial slur in his text exchange with Scalley. Anyone know if he’s part of this investigation?

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

All that I have read is that Scalley sent it and Shah was supposed to be the recipient. Where did you get that Shah also sent it? Honest question.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

There have been twitter reports that the convo went like this:

Scalley: You know recruit X?

Shah: Never heard of the N***a.

Scalley: Well I just landed the N***a.

3 3

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

If Morgan is let go, Shah should be let go. Both appeared to have used the word in a text exchange about a professional situation. If there’s a double standard like this, are there any standards?

3 1

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Exactly. What kind of message does it send if we start saying it is okay for people from one group to act a certain way in the work place but not for others?

Imagine this was a man and a woman making sexual jokes about a female co-worker and one of the man’s texts was accidentally sent to the woman they were joking about. Should only the man be fired because the woman is somehow allowed to make sexual jokes about women but the man isn’t?

Either Scalley AND Shah should be fired over this or neither of them should be fired over this.

For the record, I don’t think either of them should be fired. These are two great coaches who, by all accounts, are even better men. 

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Shah’s Tweet gives me a slight glimmer of hope that things may not be as bad as they seem. He says let’s not judge until all the facts come out.

Maybe I’m just looking for any sign of something good. I dunno.

1 3

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Remember the John Mayer controversy? This seems like that. Kind of a clueless white guy with little experience with the pain of black racial history trying to be “more than average” in being close to black players. It was clear he and Shah were texting back and forth about it until he texted the recruit instead.

I don’t think a guy who grew up in the country club area of Salt Lake has any real reason to be viewed as a malevolent secret hater of black people–not exactly white sheets and stars and bars territory. A lot of casual Utah racism is just because a lot of people didn’t grow up around black people, so their information and assumptions are a grab bag of stereotypes and pop culture junk food with little real world experience to navigate what it is like to be African American in America. Some African Americans I know from the South like Utah for the same reason African Americans also settled in Seattle. They get to establish relationships on their own terms. When I was at the U a long time ago, I volunteered at the local NAACP. There were like 3,000 black people in Utah. This is before Katrina or the Somali and Sudanese refuges settlements. Utah has changed a lot but it is still kind of trying to wake up from its sleepy ignorance. BYU integrated its teams after the SEC for hells sakes. I don’t think it’s because the LDS Church hates black people more than Southern Whites, I just think there weren’t enough black people around the church to make the leadership think of it as a problem until they realized most of their members in Brazil is black under the historical American “one drop” idea. Even though West Coast schools were boycotting and a Molotov c**ktail was thrown on a basketball court over a failure to modify racist policies imposed by Brigham Young, I guess the leadership filed it in the “persecution” drawer until it realized its members needed it to change. Now the Church puts a ton of effort into outreach to change that perception. Salt Lake hosted the NAACP convention in part because LDS leadership is trying to move church perception to a better place, and it needs church members to make that shift too. My guess is Scalley is humiliated now and thought he was trying to be close to the people he is now being reported as having called slurs.

If anything folks in Utah can take from this, it’s don’t use the N word with an A as well as an R, even if a good friend of yours who happens to be black uses it with you. If you say it, it will always come out of your white face, and it as a result always has the historical meaning to it. Your intention might be “harmless” but you don’t control the impact. You don’t get a benefit, and you probably get penalized. It’s not like it’s something one would want to say anyway.

This whole situation is screwed up but it’s also totally predictable, and from a long time ago. 

1 3

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

This text was 7 years ago, correct?

2 2

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

This is a pretty common problem, the world moves to another place and past actions get punished. It happens in business compliance all the time. Something that wasn’t thought to be a big deal becomes treated as unacceptable years later.

2 3

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Do you think he’s a racist?

4 2

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I agree with you to some extent, but not in Morgan’s case.

I have a problem with people who try to apply today’s standards to behavior from long ago. When my grandparents were married in 1938, my grandmother was 16 years old and my grandfather was 18. Would I call my grandfather a pedophile? By today’s standards people would say he was. But a lot of people got married very young back in those days, so back then you probably wouldn’t use that term. There are many other examples of this, and why it’s problematic to apply current standards to past behavior.

But I’m pretty sure the n-bomb was just as bad in 2013 as it is today. The same standards applied then vs. now. I don’t think punishment for past actions is inappropriate in this case. And that is what will happen. Even if Morgan is allowed to stay on, he’ll definitely get some kind of HR discipline.

2 2

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

Completely agree it was unacceptable then. It has been my entire life. What I mean is that behavior then was overlooked and then George Floyd’s death happened and it has all come out. We create tomorrow’s problems today. Sometimes it’s the standard that changes and sometimes the standard doesn’t change but tolerance level does.

4 1

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Reactions to racial issues in this country have gotten significantly worse since the Michael Brown Ferguson incident which happened AFTER this current issue. It certainly wasn’t okay to say it back then, but the outrage if this had come out back in 2013 would have been far less than it is now. The social media mob is out for blood on issues like this more now than it ever has been before.

4 2

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

It kind of belies the whole notion that this movement is really about “change.”

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If we assume Scalley is gone