I’m not worried about Utah’s future conference affiliation.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

As a whole, Utah is a damn good research institution that would be a much better fit for the B1G than the BIG 12, culture wise and sports wise. The BIG 12’s private christian institutions are not a good fit for many of the PAC 12 schools…there, I said it. I just think Utah has a lot of street cred built with its time in the PAC 12 and the University has made huge strides in improving its facilities (Academic and Athletic) and academics and frankly the Utah market is pretty strong, relative to the rest of the country. 

I think the main question for Utah is timing and loyalty to the PAC 12.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Amen

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

The problem is things like reasearch and religion have no influence on big time college football decisions. It’s about the business of football who gets the SEC and B1G  the most eyeballs and revenue for its members.

Loyalty to the PAC 12? That’s as strong as the next invite from the BIG 2. 

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

If TV dollars are equal between two competing teams to get it, I think fit gets looked at. 

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Utah has done as much as it possibly could to elevate its profile over the last decade or so. Good academics, AAU membership, good facilities, multiple top 25 finishes in football. The nation knows it has a rabid and active fanbase. There’s a reason Utah was selected by a P5 conference a decade ago, and we’re even stronger as a program now than back then.

The fact that Utah is even being talked about as a possible addition to the Big10 (if they go the 20+ team superconference route like some are predicting) by national talking heads is a testament to how far they’ve come. Unlikely to happen, but just being talked about bodes well for Utah.

Frankly, Utah is in a better spot than some of our conference mates that have had the benefit of power conference affiliation for decades.

There’s nothing Utah can do at this point except hope that their profile is enough for a decent landing spot.

I’m under no illusion about what Utah is. They’re a solid program, but not elite. However, if you racked and stacked the 22 programs in the Pac12 and Big12, Utah would be in the top third.

Realignments are funny, though. Good teams have been excluded and bad teams included.

BYU fans desperately want Utah to be excluded and are making some pretty wild predictions about our impending relegation back to the MWC, but they aren’t based in reality. It’s wishful thinking on their part and nothing clouds judgment worse than hate. 

TL;DR – Utah peaked at the right time, national sports journalists think Utah will have a decent landing spot, ignore dumb BYU fans.

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

dumb BYU fans? Are there any other kind?

UteHorn21
      Ute Fan
      @utehorn21

Utah is probably the 5th option for the B1G right now. From everything I’m seeing:

1. Oregon
      2. Washington
      3. Stanford
      4. Colorado
      5. Utah

You could probably flip flop Utah and Colorado. It’s also possible Cal is above both of them. Has nothing to do with football, but location and academic profile.

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

I don’t see Stanford as an option for the Big12. They’d rather disband their sports program than associate with Big12 schools. 

UteHorn21
          Ute Fan
          @utehorn21

Not the big 12, the B1G 10. They would favor Stanford because from what I’m seeing on other message boards is the Big 10 covets Notre Dame deeply. And the golden domers love them some Stanford for whatever reason. I think Utah’s only chance at getting in the Big 10 is Notre Dame not joining. But even then, the Big 10 also has an eye for Virginia and North Carolina.

I love me some Utes and I love how scrappy and tough the program is. I just don’t think Utah has the cache some of the other choices have. Outside of a select few, the west just doesn’t have the college football culture that drives the money train.

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

Yes, they’d jump to the Big10 in a heartbeat. I agree.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Its clearly all about TV revenue now.  What is the size of the Utah TV market vs other options?  It is small compared to the others in UteHorn21’s list, so that list is pretty good.   Cal-Stanford as a traveling pair might even be moved to the top, IMHO.   So I’d think of it in terms of traveling pairs and eyeballs order: 1.) Cal-Stanford, 2) Oregon-Washington (if their Regents allow a split from OSU, WSU), 3.) Colorado-Utah.   The Intermountain West just doesn’t have the population of Northern Cal, Oregon & Washington.

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

Jon Wilner
          @wilnerhotline
          Reminder that Big Ten expansion in ’22 was entirely driven by Fox, just as SEC expansion in ’21 was entirely driven by ESPN. They are the grandmasters calling the shots behind the scenes.

(This message will repeat tomorrow morning)

… This tweet says all that needs to be said

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

If it is just about TV market, you have to put Arizona State above everyone else on your list. Greater Phoenix is the #6 market in the country and the quickest growing.

Cal/Stanford split a portion of a big market and neither has a passionate fanbase. They would be in for recruiting and academic prestige only which may not translate to TV$.

Oregon is way down the list in terms of population and academic standing. They have established a national following and have recent success. I could see FOX wanting to steal Nike U from ESPN.

Colorado/UW are pretty much on par for TV market and historical success. Politically and academically they align very well with the current B1G schools.

Grabbing UW/Cal/Colorado/ASU along with SC/UCLA gets you 5 of the biggest TV markets west of the Mississippi. It also means the B1G would have a national foothold while the SEC would need to add FSU and Miami to control Florida to Texas. Where Utah is on the outside is that while they are in a sizable TV market, I think it’s a tough sell trying to convince the networks/B1G that membership would deliver more eyeballs than the parochial school would be taking with them to the Big12.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I’m not worried about Utah’s future conference affiliation.