IMO Utah’s basketball program is in a dire situation

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I attended my first Utah basketball game in 1965 at the Eiener Nielsen Fieldhouse when Jerry Chambers was the star.  We went on to make the Final Four that year.  I have loved Utah basketball ever since from Jackson, Newlin, Sojourner, Judkins, Vranes, Van Horn, Miller, Bogut, etc.

Now, I can hardly stand to watch this debacle of a program.  IMO – Coach K must go at the end of the season.  It will not be easy to resurrect this program and the longer we wait the harder it will become.  There is a major lack of interest in this program and it’s sad to see what has happened.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I agree with you. What are the chances we can get a high profile coach to turn it around, in your opinion?

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

For what we’d demonstrated our willingness to pay a head coach?  I’d say the chances are very good that top coaches would be interested in talking to Harlan!

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

You’re both kind of alluding to this, but I think it’s FAR more important that we get the right person in than that we get LK out. By that I mean, yes, if we can get the home run hire this spring, we do it, but if Harlen isn’t liking what he’s seeing as he sniffs around, better to hold on to LK for another year rather than settle for second best just to make a change now. Settling will just lead us down another Giac/Boylen path.

As some have said in other places, LK isn’t a bad coach. He’s a good coach. His results aren’t quite hitting the highs we expect often enough. But we can be (and have been) worse. LK helped us out of that mess. It’s important that we show patience and not make any backwards steps. The wrong hire would take another five years to correct.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Tom Hacket asks about Damian Lillard being recruited and Randy Rahe has a quote at the 1 minute mark that just seems opposite of Utah Basketball – about building relationships with the players so strong that they will run through a wall. It just seems like we don’t have that on the hill. It seems like we have them run through a wall, criticize them, make them hate basketball, they strop trying hard, and then they transfer. I’m not saying we get Randy Rahe (although I wouldn’t object) but I would say we need guys to not be hating playing at Utah 

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

He has brought a number of teams to play Portland State. I remember him as an excellent coach. His teams were always disciplined and tough. He was always enthusiastic, standing up, advising and encouraging his players. I recall yelling at him to step back, numerous times he was standing in the field of play to get info to his team.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

IMO. This is a very attractive job. There are few opportunities where a program wants to be great, has a fanbase who wants the program to be great, has the facilities and best of all has a history and expectation to be great. We aren’t coach killers. We want a coach who recruits the state, builds up his players and holds everyone accountable including himself. IMO, Coach K got fat and happy after his contract. He started deflecting blame and now nothing is his fault. He needs to go immediately. If I’m Harlan I fire him and look for his replacement now. Figure out the buyout.

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Could not agree more.  I am done with Larry K.  I’ve owned season tickets for over 20 years, I gave them back 2 years ago, and have not missed them a bit.  And that is sad.

Everyone is saying that this is a big hire for Mark Harlan and I think this is a no-pressure pick.  We literally can’t go down much more in attendance or standings – nothing that would make a difference anyway.  It’s an all upside pick.

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

I even downgraded to the $99 season tix, yet cancelled those too! I used to be an every game guy. Sorry, Krysko, you need to bounce.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) IMO Utah’s basketball program is in a dire situation