Jaylon Johnson!!! You’re killing me!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
      6 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’m so torn. As an Eagles fan, he’s killing me. As a Utah fan, I’m loving it!

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Well JJ, you win some and lose some. What a game. 

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

JJ is one of my favorites.  He was the best CB Utah ever had IMO.  Sorry, Clark.

cj13
        Ute Fan
        @cjohnsen13

Nah Clark was better. 9 interceptions with 4 TDs is better than Johnson’s 4 interceptions with 2 TDs. Both with 21 PBUs. Clark also had the shortened 2020 season so he did more with less.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

interceptions would probably be the 6th tie breaker in determining best CB. i’d start with % of total targets since a true shutdown corner doesn’t get thrown against unless the other team has to. next i’d go with completion % against. pick-6’s are great but they aren’t necessarily a function of coverage ability.

cj13
            Ute Fan
            @cjohnsen13

Do you know where to find that stuff

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

you have to pay for it. PFF usually has a pretty good database. I don’t agree with all of their conclusions but that would be my first go-to.

Most places just show you counting stats which don’t have context to them. i.e. if you remember a few years back Evan Weaver at Cal was racking up the tackle stats. He even had around 20 against Utah in 2019 and the talking heads were doing their talking head thing. Not once did they mention that Utah was averaging around 8 yards a play when Weaver made the tackle. Instead, they just pointed to the counting stat as if he was dominant in that game.

Bill (I want to say Reilly but that doesn’t sound right) at ESPN who does SP+ also keeps a database from all of the play-by-plays from years past. I could go through the play-by-play from NCAA.com but I would (1) be starting from scratch (2) limited to the accuracy of the play call which typically only shows who touched the ball on O and who made the tackle, and (3) the relevant data from past seasons wouldn’t be available.

I’m not arguing that Johnson is better than Phillips as they are pretty much 1A and 1B with McCain/Smith in the conversation. My only point is that Interceptions and Pick-6’s are not always indicative of quality CB play. The Pick-6 Phillips has against WSU in 2021 came from the QB throwing a dig route while the receiver ran a stop and go. Phillips read the QB and squatted on the dig and it worked but we’ve also seen times where he has guessed wrong for huge gains against. And I don’t think Oregon State would have continued throwing against 2019 Johnson like they did 2022 Phillips which resulted in 4 picks (3 Phillips, 1 Hubert).

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Phillips 🏆🏆 Johnson 🚫 

Johnson also had the better supporting cast with Blackmon, Burgess, and Guidry.

Phillips hands down the better DB.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

GO EAGLES!!!  All we have to do now to be awarded the NFC playoff Home field advantage, is to win 1 of our next 3 games (@DAL, NOLA, NYG).  Dallas might be a challenge, but the latter two will be at the Linc!

Edge:  Philadelphia

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Let’s f**king take it vs Dallas. Go birds!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jaylon Johnson!!! You’re killing me!!