Let’s pump the brakes on Ludwig’s offense averaging 36.9 ppg in 2008

Viewing 5 reply threads
      2 11

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

It didn’t happen!

Utah did average 36.9 ppg that year AS A TEAM, but when you take out defensive and special teams touchdowns the offense averaged only 33.7 ppg. Ludwig’s offense was also gifted 5 FGs that year. What I mean by that is, the offense took over in FG range due to defense or special teams play and his offense wasn’t able to get a single first down so we kicked a FG after not moving the ball. Take those FGs away, and his offense only averaged 32.5 ppg in 2008.

Now, that said, 32.5 – 33.7 ppg is still significantly better than what we had this year which was 28.1 ppg and that includes defensive and special teams touchdowns. If we take those away, Taylor’s offense averaged only 26.5 ppg and that number drops to 25.7 ppg if we take away the 4 FGs he was gifted by defense and special teams.

So, if we compare apples to apples, Ludwig’s 2008 offense did still average a full touchdown more than Taylor’s which will be great . . . if he can replicate it.

8 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Lawd man. Ok now do that for the rest of the FBS that year. Stop trying to be Debbie Downer. Be Utethunder. Be hopeful. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Debbie Downer? Did you read the last sentence? I thought that was very hopeful. My point, though, was just to point out that 37 ppg from Ludwig’s offense wasn’t reality and expectations should be adjusted accordingly while still expecting better than what we had with Taylor.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

36.9 PPG*****cept fgs and New Mexico and stuff. 

1 6

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Do you give Ludwig credit for the defense & special teams scoring touchdowns? If the defense intercepts a pass or recovers a fumble on our opponents 10 yard line and the offense has to settle for a FG, did Ludwig’s offense make that happen?

2 2

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

No I give Ludwig credit for what it says on a Stats website or what it says in an article. Like most NORMAL people. 

BulgieUte
              Ute Fan
              @bulgieute

A good offense puts pressure on the opponent to keep pace which leads to mistakes. We had a great defense in 2008 but some credit for the defense scoring belongs to the offense. For example, an opponents defense gives up scores because they took chances on blitzes and attempted pass break ups knowing their offense was going to have a hard time keeping up if the D doesn’t get a stop. Break it down and spin things however you like and answers will vary. I prefer to look at score differential and compare that way.

2 1

Kirk Kettner
      Ute Fan
      @cwatkins02

Is Utah the only team that accounts for points “gifted” from turnovers in PPG???

I didn’t think so…

2 7

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

No, but Utah’s defense was prolific that year and I would bet we were in the top 10 in the country for scores generated on defense and special teams. Considering how difficult it is to generate scores on defense and special teams, you can’t really count on those from year to year. Offensive production tends to be more reliable/steady and should be counted on from one year to the next.

2 3

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

You really are missing the point. I hate it when people use stats and manipulate them. To give me a better picture of where Utah or Ludwig stands you have to do it WITH EVERY OTHER TEAM!!!

2 5

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

No, I think y’all are missing the point. I’ve laid out how, while Ludwig’s offense didn’t score 37 ppg it was a full TD per game better than Taylor’s which would be a huge improvement and people are acting like I’ve said Ludwig sucks and will be worse than Taylor. The reaction to my OP is quite bizarre.

1 3

User Suspended
              @a2ute

either your all in with Ludwig or your not. Per Uthehub

3 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

OK, take those same things away from every other coordinator you want to compare him to and let’s talk again later.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I already did. See: Troy Taylor

2 4

User Suspended
          @a2ute

If the Utes can break even Ludwig, I guess it’s ok.

Unlike most, I really liked that TT pushed the passing attach.  Since St. Urban, Utah has been in the Dark Ages when in comes to having a passing as an offensive advantage.  Until Utah coaches can honestly say that a passing attach is a weapon to win games, Utah will not get to a Rose Bowl    

AlaskanUte
      Ute Fan
      @kenaiute

36.8 – 33.7 potato – potatoe

COFfrom83
      Ute Fan
      @coffrom83

take away the 1-2 turnovers you could count on Brian Johnson coughing up each game and the scores increased. Tough to go turnover free as a team each game, but Johnson was notorious for his ability to cough up the ball

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

It wasn’t that bad. BJ averaged 1.1 turnover per game in 2008 with 9 INTs and 5 fumbles lost. 

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

SO, you could count on BJ to turn it over 1-2 times a game then.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Well, actually, you couldn’t because there were three games that year BJ didn’t have any turnovers at all.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Let’s pump the brakes on Ludwig’s offense averaging 36.9 ppg in 2008