Locked on Big 12 Utah Season Predictions

Viewing 3 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Drake Toll has Utah losing to Oklahoma State, Colorado, and UCF in the Utes’ inaugural Big 12 season. Personally, I think that he’s let his biases get the better of him. Unlike Spencer McLaughlin, the host of Locked on PAC 12 AND Oregon, who highly respected Utah and gave the team major props, Toll would be happy to see Utah go 0-12. I get the impression that as long as Utah is in the Big 12, this guy is always going to focus on any negative angle emanating from Camp Utah.

Here’s what he says about our Utes:

Kyle Whittingham’s success as the head coach of the University of Utah football program can be attributed to several key factors, though he is prone to upsets and multi-loss seasons. His long tenure since taking over in 2005 has provided stability to the program, allowing for consistency in coaching staff, program culture, and recruiting efforts. Whittingham’s background as a defensive coach has been instrumental in consistently producing strong defensive units, serving as a foundation for success.

The coach’s adaptability has been evident, particularly when Utah moved from the Mountain West Conference to the Pac-12 in 2011. Whittingham has demonstrated flexibility in adjusting strategies and game plans to the changing dynamics of college football. His recruiting efforts have been effective in attracting talented players, contributing to the overall competitiveness of the team.

Under Whittingham’s leadership, Utah has become known for player development, maximizing the potential of individual athletes. The coach instills a culture of discipline, toughness, and accountability within the program, which has translated into resilient and competitive teams on the field. Success in high-stakes games, including bowl games and conference championships, highlights the team’s ability to perform in critical matchups.

Consistent appearances in postseason bowl games showcase not only the team’s success but also provide valuable experience and exposure. Whittingham’s respected leadership style has earned him the admiration of players, staff, and the broader football community. His commitment to the University of Utah, community engagement, and ability to build a strong connection with fans have contributed to the overall success and positive culture of the football program.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

9-3 seems like a reasonable over/under considering all of the new opponents and assuming return to health. In the PAC maybe you had two new HC’s/programs a year to face, otherwise you were pretty much dealing with the same schemes from year to year which has been a luxury. 6 opponents on the 2024 schedule that Utah has either never faced or hasn’t played in the last decade.

Baylor should have a different look with Aranda running the D and Spavital the O. Brennan will probably run the same stuff he did at SJSU but that’s not a definite. So potentially the equivalent of 8 new opponents for the staff to plan for.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Do we actually plan our offense for opponents? Seems crazy that the game plan for every one is run up the middle.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

That’s probably a function of who we had available for most of last season. It sure didn’t look that way in 2021 and 2022.

PNW Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pnwute

Now I have the sweet image of Ludwig, Harding, etc. pouring over hours and hours of game film on Sundays in preparation, and at the end of each meeting, “You know what fellas, I’m pretty sure we can just run up the middle on them.”

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

You are way off if you think Toll hates Utah and wants us to go to 0-12. He certainly respects the program, even if he and much of the big-12 hate our fans – justifiably so mind you – but Toll in a different video picked Utah as most likely to be the power team in the conference over the next few years.

Regarding his predictions, I think the most dangerous game is OK State. I’m not too worried about UCF or Colorado (yet).

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

He respects the program. He doesn’t like it. Those are two different things. Just like I respect USC for all of their talent and what they’ve historically accomplished but, at the same time, I despise them with every fiber in my being and hope that they never win another game.

You might disagree with my view but I’ve been watching Toll’s program since it was announced that Utah was going to the Big 12 and he’s not going to be doing Utah any favors. A large part of that might be that small faction of Utah’s fanbase that’s gotten under the skin of legacy Big 12 programs with their views of the conference. It doesn’t matter. I’d be surprised if Toll, on a personal vein, roots for Utah to win in any contest this year.

EastCoastUte
          Ute Fan
          @eastcoastute

I agree with Miami Ute, I’ve been listening to Toll since utah joined the B12…watch some of his videos at that time utah first joined, he would dis on utah, just more recently hes been giving utah recognition and respect but even when he does, you can tell that he doesn’t like them…have you heard him suck up so much about BYU?? I honestly think he just says so many good things about BYU to try and get the BYU fan base to listen to him.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

The description of “prone to multi-loss seasons” is a bit hilarious.

Unless you’re Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St or Clemson during their run, you generally have multiple-loss seasons.

Since 2000, LSU has had 4 seasons with 1 or fewer loss. And 3 of them were national title seasons.

In 9 years at Michigan, Harbaugh has 7 multi-loss seasons. And 1 of the two years he didn’t, he won a national title.

Saying “prone to multi-loss seasons” is effectively saying “not consistently and repeatedly in the mix for a national title”

2 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Totally agree. What Big 12 team has done better than Utah the last 5 non COVID seasons?

And Utah’s “down” year was rife with injuries.

And everyone’s beloved Oklahoma State? They went 10-4 last year. One less loss than Utah at 8-5.

And Utah had their 3/44th string QB the whole freaking year.

The way people are down playing Utah…well, not national people but Big 12 people…it’s Zoobish. It really is.

The last two seasons Utah had Rising we won 19 games…in the P12. Our only losses: Oregon State, Ohio State, Florida, UCLA, Penn State, Oregon.

None of those teams are at Oklahoma State’s level. All are above it.

2 3

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Do you really think that both Florida and UCLA are above Oklahoma State’s level? Florida’s record the last three seasons is 17-21. UCLA’s record is 25-13. The Cowboys have been 29-12 the last three seasons. Utah should never have lost to Florida in 2022 but they didn’t play well inside the Red Zone.

2 1

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

9-4 UCLA who was ranked #9 after beating us? Yeah. They were better than Oklahoma State.

And Florida…they had Anthony Richardson, who better than any player Oklahoma State has, they recruit much better than Oklahoma State does, they play in a much tougher than Oklahoma State was, it was the first game of the year and we were in the road.

So, yeah. You give Florida OSU’s schedule and they win 9+ the last few years.

The Big 12 is not an elite conference. Outside of Texas and Oklahoma, the rest of the schools are incredibly mediocre.

1 1

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

That Florida team that beat us at the Swamp, also lost to Vanderbilt. I don’t think that Oklahoma State loses to Vanderbilt in a 100 years, but that’s just me. Lastly, using how a team supposedly recruits as a barometer of success doesn’t work for me. Yeah, the Gators recruit well, so does Miami, so does A&M, so did Florida State every year that they were just plain bad, etc…so what? You are what your record says you are. If we were using how well a team recruits as anything other than a talking point, Utah would never have been PAC champs.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Locked on Big 12 Utah Season Predictions