Looking to next year, do we have anyone decent committed?

Viewing 6 reply threads

SantaVaca
      Ute Fan
      @santavaca

We lose a Carlson and a few other players next year. How does basketball recruiting work? Are we just going to try and bring in some transfers and hope for the best again? I really like Smith but I haven’t seen one big recruit yet and I just don’t know why a big time recruit would ever chose to come here with our pathetic attendance and our paltry student section.

Is there anything that should give us hope going in to next year?

alexsmith
      Ute Fan
      @alexsmith

The nice benefit we have is consistency. The only person we lose at the end of the season (barring transfers and/or players leaving early) is Marco Anthony, so we are able to maintain consistency next year. I’ve noticed in college bball, consistency tends to lead to a better season, so I think that helps. Recruiting wise, I’ve never really heard much about recruiting, even through the best Coach K years, so I think it tends to be something quieter, though I do have faith that we will get somebody through either high school, JC, or the portal, so I do anticipate another step forward next year. I think with this team being as far ahead of schedule as they have been (they still have an great shot at being a 20 win team, even if that comes in the NIT), the expectation for next year would be to be a top 4 seed and make the NCAA tournament, but one can only hope.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Does Brandon Carlson have a Covid year or is he done?

alexsmith
        Ute Fan
        @alexsmith

I believe he has a covid year

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

If he comes back I think we have a lot to be excited about.  
          madsen, stef, Carlson, exacte Will provide great shooting.

Carlson, Carlson, exacte and even stef provide good size.  Worster is big for a pg too.

they’ll all be a year stronger and better.

we’re bound to add talent in the offseason.  Hopefully some hyper athletic size.  

smith is going to coach them up to not turn it over in the high teens every game l, I just know it.  

we’re already a bubble team(although it’s popping quickly).  I did NOT think I’d be cheering for that this year.

If we keep taking steps next year like we did this year then good times ahead!

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Smith has a unorthodox approach to recruiting.  He doesn’t cast a big net.  Doesn’t even have a back up plan.  Recruits one player and all the eggs go in that basket.  Look for a few kids coming in via transfer portal.   Also, maybe Exate transferring out.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

I would be very sad if exacte ditched.  He’s one of the reasons I’m so optimistic about next year.

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

His shooting and his size

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

In todays day and age of CBB players transfer for any number of reasons especially at Utah but I’m curious why you think Exacte would go?

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

This is the first I’ve heard that Exacte might transfer. Why would he do that? He’s a good fit on this team and has gotten quite a few minutes for a freshman.

The one I’m concerned about transferring is Tarlac. He might have the best pure skill set of anyone on the team but isn’t getting much PT.

AZUTE
          Ute Fan
          @azute

That’s because he’s been a complete train wreck on both ends of the court.

He’s completely lost defensively and a liability at this point.

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

He’s completely lost defensively and a liability at this point.

Huh?

He is 8th on the team in rebounds/40 minutes played (5.7)
            He is 4th on the team in blocks/40 minutes played (3.5)
            He is 1st on the team in steals/40 minutes played (2.2)

Tarlac has work to do on the offensive end for sure, but defensively he’s right there.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Even if we don’t find anyone to replace Anthony, we’re still going to be better next year.

With how good Smith and Burgess are with player development, I’m excited to see what they can do with Keita next year. They helped Anthony learn to shoot a little bit. Everyone on this team is much better than they were last year. If Carlson stays, we’ll be everyone’s least favorite team to play next year.

If Smith can get Madsen and Carlson to put on significant muscle in one off-season, I can’t wait to see what they do going forward.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

You may not realize that last year, Smith’s first without a chance to recruit, Utah was third in the Pac 12 in attendance for men’s BB. College basketball attendance is down almost everywhere. Not many schools anywhere can catch UofA.

Given where we were I have been happy with Keita and Exacte as freshmen. I expect that will develop just fine. Madsen and Ben Carlson were good transfer pickups. I would love to see two more similar freshmen and two more similar transfers next year. Possibly BC sticks around for another year because, I think, his wife is in law school at the U.

Without doubt, Utah improved more than any other league team this year. If Smith keeps the arrow pointing up we are just fine. I am encouraged by how well the coaches develop players.

SOWhat
      Ute Fan
      @sowhat

FYI, the men’s baseball signing period is April 12th through May 17th. We should know then what coach Smith’s plan is. To assume that he doesn’t have a plan is very presumptive on your part.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Looking to next year, do we have anyone decent committed?